Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

The Chronicles of Weedrow Volume 2 is now recruiting!

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: The Chronicles of Weedrow Volume 2 is now recruiting!

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012, 21:35

Captain Clark wrote:Do we put the paintings here or...

Also any particular size?
Yeah you can just post them here, or PM if you'd rather it not be shown until the pack's release.

As for size, I wouldn't recommend a texture smaller than 128*128. Of course, the frames could always be adjusted, so aspect ratio isn't really much on an issue. The paintings I've done are 256*256, but we would accept higher resolutions as well. I wasn't feeling confident enough in my skills to do any higher than that (and tbh, even the ones I did at that resolution look bad), but I know there are some really talented people around.

If you don't feel like writing a few lines about your piece, that can be done for you, but it will likely be done by someone not terribly schooled in art.

The subject matter can be about anything you like, or even things you don't like or feel indifferent about.

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 14:04

I'm kind of a bitout of the loop but I'd like to help.

I can do music and sometimes sound effects, just let me know what kind of thing you want and I can make it.

Also I map for UT but am thinking a lot about an Unreal SP (I am drawing out rooms and such already) So I would love to make a small part of the mapping if needed like a segueway or small connecting map.
All I can say about mapping is I have BT type gameplay and skills for rooms that require some type of problem solving ability. I also know how to use monsters a bit (lots of my UT BT maps use them) and I have recently gotten much better at ambient sound placement and lighting.

My BT maps are here (UnrealTournament99):

http://www.map-factory.org/author/ozma777-1743

ALL the music is mine, although not all the styles I can do...mostly the songs I choose were part of the mood of the map.

I have my old Unreal Gold cd installed and now patched with 227h so I'm ready.

edit: ooh also I have some watercolor paintings of mine that I scanned a while ago....let me find them and I'll upload.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

Wail
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012, 12:54

If I had more time I might contribute some texture/paintings. Instead I'll just suggest looking online for some creative commons sourced media. I found some cool paintings for a map last time I did.
Marathon: Resurrection project @ http://resurrection.bungie.org/

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012, 19:04

Ozma777 wrote:I'm kind of a bitout of the loop but I'd like to help...

...edit: ooh also I have some watercolor paintings of mine that I scanned a while ago....let me find them and I'll upload.
We are indeed still looking for paintings. If you are looking to help with the mapping itself try talking to Frieza. If you can't get his attention through the forums, you can try a PM. He is also often sitting in the chat.
Wail wrote:If I had more time I might contribute some texture/paintings. Instead I'll just suggest looking online for some creative commons sourced media. I found some cool paintings for a map last time I did.
We might go this route if we can't get enough artists involved. It is kind a shame though, since original work is waaaay better than using someone else's stuff, even if you are permitted to do so.

User avatar AndryxaXP
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012, 20:06

Find that picture that everyone will enjoy

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012, 22:19

I could do a couple more pictures, if you'd like, and I might even do a different style for each one...

Like you said, it would be a shame to have to resort to finding pics on the internet. :(

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012, 08:47

Title:
"Avocet in the moor"
Lines of thought:
1) I've never seen one of these birds before...
2) Mind you though, I don't do much birdwatching.
Last edited by SteadZ on 28 Mar 2018, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 00:44

Can't believe I'm nagging for updates in the weedrow thread, but how's it coming along? The last installment was characterized by the public thread so it was obvious when work was being done and transparent when it wasn't.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 04:20

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Can't believe I'm nagging for updates in the weedrow thread, but how's it coming along? The last installment was characterized by the public thread so it was obvious when work was being done and transparent when it wasn't.
Well last time there wasn't a private forum. I guess it is no secret though that development seems to have stalled a bit. I think some explanation might be in order.

Last summer I contacted Frieza because I was interested in Weedrow 2. He had some ideas regarding technical features that would make Weedrow 2 totally the best ever. Those are my words though, not his. Anyway, I implemented them in code. In time that code base grew pretty big, so I felt the need to separate it into two smaller packages (one generic package and one package specific to weedrow2). The generic package came to be called firetrucks and if I must say, it kicks ass in its own right. While the generic package is a separate entity, its release would happen along side the main pack to ensure that firetruck's first time would be with Weedrow.

At first everything was great. The mappers mapped. The coder coded. Frieza kicked off the map with a stunning quality piece which, although difficult for some to follow, set the standards for Weedrow develop and the role of firetrucks in Weedrow 2. Map 1 is nearly complete as of writing and I can assure everyone that it really is amazing. The level of interactivity in the levels certainly goes far beyond any Unreal/Oldskool pack I've seen. A fully finished map 1 might sport a play time close to the entire Weedrow 1. The only let down is the crappy segment our awful coder made. A full rebuild takes aaaagessss to complete. A lot of effort went into keeping the story coherent this time and also ensuring that it is 2spooky4u. The new code allows the team to really flex their writing skills in ways they couldn't before.

Why is [the package split] important? Maps need to be converted from the old packages to the new. It shouldn't have been a hold up really, since it was to be done for map 1 while map 2 was in development. Plans often go astray though. Classes started up for me reducing the amount of time I had to work and around the same time Frieza ended up flying to the moon. Map 2 got off to a bad start with the old, outdated packages. After that, the horrible holiday season was upon us. Map 1 is fully converted and in a near finished state (needs bugfixes and touch ups). Map 2 is partially converted.

The whole process is a little frustrating for me. It is mundane and time consuming. I uploaded detailed instructions on how to fix the .t3d files (find/replace is all you really need), but somehow everyone else is as busy as I am.

What of the mappers? Someone called for map development to be halted while Frieza was away and we lost momentum. With the holidays people had zero time (or willpower) to get anything sorted.

tl;dr progress summary
  • firetrucks code base: There is one last feature set I want to implement, then bug fixes, then done
  • Weedrow 2: idk. I'll try to get hold of Frieza.

[spoiler]Quote from another thread:
radios wrote:if you look at the top of the page, by jet, Turboman and Frieza got bored of firestorm, and moved on to Weedrow V2, possibly because firestorm only has 2 people working on it, and Weedrow V2 has many more, so it's easier to finish it. this is the conclusion i have from all the posts made here about it.
I actually laughed when I read this.[/spoiler]

This does NOT mean that Weedrow is dead!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 06:27

lol, ebd, I'm sure you guys will finish it before too long. I still have to check out Weedrow 1 (been way behind on everything forever) but your post made me laugh :)

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 16:22

I uploaded detailed instructions on how to fix the .t3d files (find/replace is all you really need), but somehow everyone else is as busy as I am.

And I was the one that ended up doing this for the entirety of Map 1. After which a lot of events came out broken and I don't even know why, when I check the stuff in the editor all the tags and events seem to be correct, but they just don't work for whatever reason. I spent hours settings some of these events up which are now broken and it just completely killed my motivation since it seems the only way to fix them is to completely redo them from scratch. And the only reason was so we could have a generic package for the codebase instead of a weedrow specific one.

Nobody else wants to look at the bugs so it all falls on me, and I'm just ticked off about the whole thing. I never wanted to split the packages in the first place but it was supposed to be an easy process, instead it gives me hours upon hours of extra work which would've been better spent mapping.

We lost momentum before I even flew to the moon thanks to all this.

/rant over

(That said the codebase is brilliant and I respect all the work you put into it)

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 19:54

Frieza wrote:highly abridged version
I have to admit I didn't try very hard to contact you but I guess it worked anyway. The code base was a clusterfuck and needed to be sorted out. When I checked map 1 most everything was working (except for the occasional head-scratcher). I never blamed you (or anyone else) for the troubles regarding Weedrow 2. Real life makes demands for everyone.

Still, I sense some resentment. I guess it isn't undeserved, but it was never my intention. If you'd rather work on something else than fix bugs, then do that. If you so strongly feel that the package split is my fault, then wash your hands of it and let it be my problem.

Previous