UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[227] Unreal HD Weapons (v0.6 Released!)

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [227] Unreal HD Weapons (work-in-progress)

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012, 20:06

Just looking at the screenshots, it looks absolutely stunning! just those weapon trails and explosions make so much difference with unreal's basic smokepuff effects.

I'm not so fond of the giant red light on the 8ball though, i've always liked it how subtle it was :P

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012, 20:29

heh...well I just wanted to skin them all slightly different...so I'm turning all the lights on :P ^^

Also, I plan to release an alpha test version sometime today...I'm thinking I'll name each .u differently for each version to avoid version conflicts in the future...though...hmm...that wouldnt help with .utx file....crap...i hate mylevel xD. Not sure what I'm gonna do but I guess I'll figure something out or just release it as whatever.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012, 23:27

sana wrote:
redeye wrote:I can only hope if they work for oldskool in UT. or stock Unreal

You could avoid having to 'hope' by actually reading the thread before posting. :shake:

oops, I just seen the U and "Unreal" in the topic list.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012, 01:58

TEST RELEASE

VERSION 0.1

http://www.shivaxi.com/unreal/downloads ... 20v0.1.zip

README:

HD Unreal Weapons - by Shivaxi

================================

Test Release Version 0.1:

WARNING: THIS IS NOT THE FINAL PRODUCT. SUBJECT TO BUGS AND CHANGES.

Weapon Summons:

-UnrealWepsHD.HDEightball - uses stock textures translucent textured smoke effects
-UnrealWepsHD.EightballHD - uses custom alphablend textured smoke effects
-UnrealWepsHD.HDStinger - 99% complete
-UnrealWepsHD.HDGESBioRifle - Only skin changed so far...no other effects present

More Info / Contact / Bug Reporting:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2629

END OF LINE

Quick Updates & Changes List:

-added custom alphablend smoke textures
-added new rocket projectile that uses alphablend for all smoke effects instead of translucency (This allows darker and more realistic smoke, while also allowing the smoke to be lit properly instead of unlit. However this is a new emitter feature of 227i so for now everyone will see unlit smoke)
-added seeking rocket (grenade is still missing however)
-other various emitter tweaks for sparks, smoke and fire/flames (which took up most of my time ironically)
-added GESBioRifle skin and weapon (only skin change so far)
-removed lensflare from sparks (was just annoying...thought it was important enough to put here :P )

So as it stands, the stinger remains the same as last seen in screenshots. The eightball effects have been updated quite a bit with various tweaks of which there are too many to name and it's kind of pointless since you guys didnt really see it beforehand ANYway :P (screenies dont show much how the particles move and act) Alphablend looks pretty awesome now, though i left the original translucent smoke effects for you guys to compare...hence the 2 HD eightballs. The GESBioRifle is also a work-in-progress atm and only the skin has been changed...pick it up and then toss it in a dark spot ^^

So yeah...have fun! and please report bugs and general feedback as always. Also no...i have NOT tested this online yet haha.

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012, 09:10

UPDATE:

August 1st, 2012:

and of course a few updates AFTER i release the first version :P Didn't wanna post more pics and such so suddenly but I can't resist after what I did tonight...

New Eightball muzzleflash effect

Image Image

please note that this is in SLOMOTION *cough ratapom* and not and at 10 fps...so its not an actual representation of what it may look like in game but u get the idea

and introducing the HD Bio Rifle! =D

Updates since test release version 0.1:

Added:

-Bio Rifle primary projectile and effects (smoke and particles)
-Seeking rocking projectile foe Eightball
-Muzzle flash effect for Eightball

Removed:

-Old EightballHD class
-Old Eightball projectiles and effects using translucent unlit smoke

Changed:

-Projectile glows are now coronas. This includes but is not limited to: Stinger projectile glow & Bio gel glow
-Lighting on rocket projectile brightened
-Lighting on bio gel projectile brightened, radius decreased slightly

Fixed:

-Spark trail on rocket projectile disappearing suddenly after 3 seconds (lifespan was set accidently due to being subclassed from another emitter)
-Rocket projectile glare/corona aligned properly to flame
-Rocket projectile flame offset to align with projectile correctly

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 06:25

that muzzle flash, even in the gif, is ridiculously overkill. you can't see shit after it.

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 10:50

In any case, although I may be blatant and curse alot (yes, I curse alot) in my remarks about Shivaxi's HD Weapons mod, I do it for legitimate reasons. In theory, modifying stock Unreal content is naturally open up to more criticisms from others than just say creating a mutator that spews out rocket for each blood splat. When you choose to modify something that is already built into Unreal (especially stock weapons), you are bound to create a minority of people who would rather see simple visual improvements which don't change the overall affect the weapon was originally meant to create. When loading up the HD weapons mod, I found that the eightball was not only dropping my FPS by 100 on shooting all 6 rockets at once, it was also creating this unbearable smoke stack which blinded me completely from the enemy I was fighting... When I go off on a tangent about the shortcomings of the mod and why it pisses me off, I'm simply showing the way I felt when I was fighting an enemy in-game and not trying to personally attack Shivaxi in any way. It's as far as I can tell a legitimate critique of his work thus far and whether or not he chooses to listen is solely up to him and his .u

ban me if you must, but know that by removing all negative criticisms from your forums you are only hurting the game you come here to admire.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 11:01

Why are you not using your regular jackrabbit account? Why have you opened two new ones? That sort of thing and posting dumb mp3s rather than just commenting with text in a civilized way is what makes you look like an idiot. Please switch back to your original account, as I'll be disabling the new ones later.

Not sure what your initial post was, but I'm not incredibly keen on the mod's execution either. It's a great idea to visually improve the Unreal weaponry, but it should have some structure and take into account gameplay and aesthetics rather than just randomly rice things up. In theory it's a good idea to make everything glow and leave behind glowing residue, but having glowing Stinger shards and bio balls lying around everywhere makes for a distracting sight. The glow should be tuned down, for example by only having it persist for the first few seconds of the projectiles' lifetimes. The Eightball's muzzleflash and smoke effects obstruct your sight and I can imagine that the code isn't optimized enough to prevent lag by firing multiple rockets. I suggest that you should include code which spawns only one trail for all rockets if fired in a circle, which however changes in particle intensity/size depending on how many rockets were loaded.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 11:16

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:In any case, although I may be blatant and curse alot (yes, I curse alot) in my remarks about Shivaxi's HD Weapons mod, I do it for legitimate reasons. In theory, modifying stock Unreal content is naturally open up to more criticisms from others than just say creating a mutator that spews out rocket for each blood splat. When you choose to modify something that is already built into Unreal (especially stock weapons), you are bound to create a minority of people who would rather see simple visual improvements which don't change the overall affect the weapon was originally meant to create. When loading up the HD weapons mod, I found that the eightball was not only dropping my FPS by 100 on shooting all 6 rockets at once, it was also creating this unbearable smoke stack which blinded me completely from the enemy I was fighting... When I go off on a tangent about the shortcomings of the mod and why it pisses me off, I'm simply showing the way I felt when I was fighting an enemy in-game and not trying to personally attack Shivaxi in any way. It's as far as I can tell a legitimate critique of his work thus far and whether or not he chooses to listen is solely up to him and his .u

ban me if you must, but know that by removing all negative criticisms from your forums you are only hurting the game you come here to admire.

Don't forget to take into account that Shivaxi did start a poll asking if he should release what he has as an alpha version, or wait until it's done. The majority voted "release naow" so I guess it's prone to bugs and heavy changes. I loved the mod, however I did notice a slight fps drop when firing all 6 rockets (Forgot to tell you on skype yesterday shiv, sorry :< ) I think the particles that come off the stinger projectiles when they hit a wall could maybe bounce instead of just fall to the ground and stay there too.

If it makes you feel any better jr, he's also making some effects for csweapons and the portalgun I've been working on so I'm looking forward to those!

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 15:37

For everyone who failed to read:

Shivaxi wrote:KNOWN ISSUES/BUGS: (so far)

-firing many rockets may cause a severe drop in fps...needs (more) optimization

I did ALSO mention in the test release that the mod was prone to bugs and such. I never heard what JR said and personally I don't care in the slightest. I stopped paying attention to his existence years ago. YOU guys wanted me to release what I had so far, so I did. So I'm sorry but you are going to have to deal with it because I am not optimizing the mod or "dumbing it down" because of the games crappy limitations until I probably complete every other weapon first.

P.S. If it seems I am a little aggravated right now I'm actually pissed off about something else entirely having to due with my bank and losing $1000 and being stressed thinking someone stole my debbit card...but yeah...please Sana could you remove any non-related HDWeps posts from this thread? Thankyou
Last edited by Shivaxi on 02 Aug 2012, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 16:39

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:ban me if you must, but know that by removing all negative criticisms from your forums you are only hurting the game you come here to admire.

There's a difference between voicing legitimate criticisms of a mod and being an ass about it, which you don't seem to understand. What exactly was stopping you from only posting this part?

I found that the eightball was not only dropping my FPS by 100 on shooting all 6 rockets at once, it was also creating this unbearable smoke stack which blinded me completely from the enemy I was fighting

It gets the message across just fine.

you are only hurting the game you come here to admire.

The same could easily be said of you and your group.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 16:44

Looks like this thread may needs alot of cleanup lol.
Why are we hijacking Shiva's thread to talk about jackrabbit ? lol

The hd weapon mod looks pretty good i guess, or course since it's for 227 , gonna skip over it for now..
But my mind always thinks of 'the different way' to do things , why not create the projectiles , effects etc then have a mutator replace just model skins lighting , projectiles etc on existing weapons , that in my mind would make it more flexible , as say if there was a existing mod that was a subclass of stinger , the skin / potentail projectiles would also be replaced on that. or any reused stinger projectiles etc , yeah i have weird ways of thinking lol

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 20:41

Cleaned up as per multiple requests.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012, 19:00

Well...I don't know exactly what I missed in here but I hope everyone realizes it's just a beta and it would only be beneficial at this time to help Shivaxi figure out the issues he is having, like making suggestions on how to clean up the eightball thing so it doesn't chug. Also, if something in a proposed bit of code strikes someone as off when they are in a position to know better, then it would be cool if they could explain what could be improved.

Oh, and howdy Jackrabbit o/

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012, 23:22

Mister_Prophet wrote:if something in a proposed bit of code strikes someone as off when they are in a position to know better, then it would be cool if they could explain what could be improved.

This is nothing to do about code and everything to do about design. The fact that the eightball spews particles everywhere for muzzle flash and basically blinds a 40 degree angle from the barrel while making you an obvious target..

Although I guess the infinite FPS drop from loading 6 barrels could be helped with some code, but it would look massively inconsistent if it was adjusted with "How many barrels am I loading?"

The simplest solution; dramatically reducing the amount of emitters, completely bypasses any FPS-destruction problems.

Although, producing only one muzzle flash for any amount of rockets loaded is probably better than a linear climb.

Previous Next