Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Share Pictures of HOMs and discuss them too thread...

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Worst HOMs ever.

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 10:27

A tip I would give is not rebuilding BSP at all when rebuilding your map (toggle off Rebuild BSP). That generally results in much less problems, and I believe that rebuilding BSP is no longer required these days. It may have helped with reducing polygons and improving performance in 1998, but these days it's no longer necessary.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 10:31

sana wrote:A tip I would give is not rebuilding BSP at all when rebuilding your map (toggle off Rebuild BSP). That generally results in much less problems, and I believe that rebuilding BSP is no longer required these days. It may have helped with reducing polygons and improving performance in 1998, but these days it's no longer necessary.

Sorry sana, but I couldn't disagree more. There is no excuse for poor optimisation, and failure to rebuild BSP will tend to increase rendering problems with semisolids, in my experience.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 10:42

One additional thought:

Everybody here seems to be so afraid of the bugs you can encounter with semisolids that the advantages are being overlooked. For example, take the multiple references in this thread to staying on the grid. Now, for structural geometry and most decorative geometry, I would absolutely agree: stay on the grid to keep the BSP tree clean. However, as semisolids don't make cuts, semisolid brushes can go off-grid with relative impugnity. This is particularly useful when rotating decorative prefabs or adding decorative brushes rotated in the 2D shape editor.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 20:06

Well guys, you made me curious, so curious, that I asked more about semi-solids here:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4193
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 20:17

Hellscrag wrote:Sorry sana, but I couldn't disagree more. There is no excuse for poor optimisation, and failure to rebuild BSP will tend to increase rendering problems with semisolids, in my experience.

The difference in polycount when you rebuild bsp is extremely tiny by modern standards. Back when two-hundred polygons was a dangerous amount and cutting twenty off was a huge difference it mattered, but, for any system made in the last six or so years-probably earlier than that-it's pretty much irrelevant (either the map has such a high polygon count a BSP rebuild will effectively change nothing, or the map is so low poly it'll run perfectly anyway). Better performance tends to come much more from stuff like designing objects economically, blocking the player's view at the right moments, and optimising fog and other special effects. Plus I know multiple experienced mappers (Waffnuffly for instance, and I know the trick originated from Hourences) use this and have reported nothing but a very notable decrease in BSP problems.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 20:54

The day I stopped using semisolids (unless absolutely necessary) and rebuilding BSP is the day my burning, fiery hatred for UE1 geometry was finally extinguished.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013, 21:16

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I just wanted to share this little hom with you guys :)

Isn't it beautiful???

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Share Pictures of HOMs and discuss them too thread...

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013, 22:40

Yea... I can't stop watching it. Essence of pure void. Like staring in the eyes of a god.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 09:09

They just keep getting bigger and bigger...

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 27 May 2013, 15:36

Mwahahahaha! here comes the little king of HOMs with another speciality for ya:
This one literally goes right through the roof...

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 May 2013, 16:30

Door into oblivion.

Previous