Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[227] [UT] Alternate Pawns

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Altermate Pawns

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 19:26

sana wrote:mask their lowpoly nature

I can tessellate them a bit and... just add some detail to the basic mesh.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 19:30

Ha! Titans with beards...

Qtit! I demand an old man Titan with a walking stick and beard :lol:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 20:58

For now, I've successfully added (really crappy) animation to the Swamp Titan concept. There be a way of... Spawning a Titan.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 22:41

Captain Clark wrote:Qtit! I demand an old man Titan with a walking stick and beard :lol:

Seconded, and then he can use his stick like a krall staff. I'ld love to see a Titan swat the ground with it, or spin that stick around his finger and behind his back. :lol: 8)

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012, 03:41

My idea for Skaarj might be along the lines of what popped up in Unreal2, the body art and tattoos. Other than, maybe more powerful projectiles.
Mister_Prophet wrote:For me, the next step after a T.Titan would be Titans under Skaarj influence, as in armor fitted and things like that.

Certainly workable. A stretch back I started porting skins from ut2004's Invasion into ut99. There are armored titan skins in existance...
...and other weird type stuffs.

Sorry if I detracted a bit but if you want I can port you some skins from that stuff.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012, 07:32

All of what you are doing is awesome and great and I seriously look forward to testing out any and all monsters you come out with.

Before getting into models: One thing I do hope for, and this doesn't even really pertain to the modelling at all but the code moreso, is that you're coding these monsters to be able to fight with bots as well (Like EXU or MonsterSpawn pawns do), not just stand and ignore bots like stock Unreal pawns are wont to do. Would be a bummer for Monsterspawn enthusiasts or MH mappers.

A) My first suggestion, which I would hope would also be a player-model as well, would be a Skaarj Trooper wearing a thick winter jacket/pants, maybe a warmer sort of helmet. Kinda like what you did with the Kralls, only more thorough/covering the whole body. Seeing plain Skaarj Officers in Project Zephon or other winter maps always irked me... you know, how can they withstand such cold climates? Something like the following is what I would imagine, minus the balaklava/whole human aspect:

B) Only other idea at the moment: I think what might be an interesting adaptation of the Half Life Barnacle creature, is to make a nastier-looking Tentacle that drops a sticky tongue to pull up it's victims and then eat them. That might be a stretch, I guess, but maybe if the tongue were to somehow be a projectile of sorts... Idk.

Just throwing these two things out there. I'm not gonna flood this forum with suggestions, because that would be rude. But, since you asked, right? :lol: I'm sure you're busy with many things. I only regret not having gotten here sooner, haha.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012, 08:37

Hello all you monster lovers :D
I finally managed to upgrade from a lurker to a member.

Thanks again to Grins and Sana :tup:

A while back after using the MegaTitan I was talking about the mixing and matching of monsters and the various spawners, and how to make a new game or game element, not already covered, and built out of what we already have.

MrLoathsome's "Dropper mutator" thread at UT99.org is what made me think this may be do-able.

This is more about scripting, but a new Titan would be needed.

I'll quote myself as I already explained the principle over there.
Well I am chuffed to bits with the Megatitan, it works a treat in UT. I guess all the necessary script, textures and sounds are already available, so it works very well.
I think I have found a perfect map for placing a few. The DM-GangOfFrontCity map has large areas outside the city walls, where bots and pawns sometimes get knocked into. Now I can "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" anyone lucky enough to survive being blasted over the walls, will be unlucky enough to land at the feet of a Megatitan

I noticed how much it reminded me of the film "Cloverfield" with this giant walking amongst the skyscrapers, and was thinking of the way it dropped nasty pointy, clawed, teeth and venom-filled death.
I am now wondering if it would be better to mod a new Megatitan X Deathmatchtitan, or to use Dropper (if possible) to spawn spiders and pupae etc. from where the shots are hitting the Titans body (obviously still lowering the health of the Titan).
The napali Spinners are great at laying eggs and infesting city maps, though they were never made to climb walls and ceilings , unlike the Chameleon pawn which I recently got.
Can anyone tell me, what is the difference between the MH-Pawns version of the spinner and the "real" 105 version?

I'm gonna see how Megatitans work in the DM-KVARTAL woodland at the side of the cityblock and in the separate city area
I may also have a go at turning DM-ViceCity into something actually playable with this (big)baby, and with the U2Vehicles I think it may be a very different UT experience!

http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2885

*NOTE* I am leaving DM-ViceCity well alone since finding out about it's many uncredited textures.

There are quite a few other bugs and nasties available, that would fit the bill with this. It needn't be limited to the original U1 pawns.
Scorpions, and spiders, eggs, face-huggers, cockroaches, chameleons, snakes, bugs etc. and even mass fly-swarms (thanks to Loathsome again. I asked for swarms of rats and cockroaches that could climb walls, but...).

The principle is easy, but would need fine-tuning for balance.
normal bullet damage spawns small bugs, so using the mini-gun or other machine-gun may trigger small swarms, if not used in bursts.
The larger the damage of the weapon, the larger cleverer, and deadlier the spawned horror.
Burn damage could trigger a swarm, but the strategy is to try and use the fire to damage the swarm.
Damage of the same type but higher or lower value, could set the AI level for example. or make something that will lays eggs or not.
Different zones on the monster could also trigger differences.

Simply, the different damage properties of weapons matched to an appropriate resultant enemy, until the Titan is dead. The Titans health therefore would not need to be at a lunatic level (Grins :shake: ) as the firepower has to be split between new targets or you die.
I guess this is more of a CoOp enemy, as team tactics would be the order of the day, but could have a normal and team game switch.

This can either be the end, or it's death triggers a nasty surprise ! A few of everything for the final battle? or some clever bugs that will work as a team? or something not yet thrown at the player? etc.

The creatures in the UT SP total mod "Spatial Fear" are absolutely perfect for what I have in mind, but are not usable without permission, and use a pheromone tag, to hunt you. Using them outside the mod (eg. monsterspawn) so far has yielded dumb monsters that only interact when threatened or attacked. Also the team that made it put a whole lot of other goodies in their version of UEd (like flight pathnodes :shock: )
Don't know why they didn't release their engine addons like Shadow's UT-SDK ? We could all benefit from what they did. You'd all be making monsters that can track you by your trail of blood and fear! (thankfully bots don't pee themselves too).
I'd recommend all UT mappers/editors have a look at UEd2.5 in Spatial Fear. It comes with a few extra brush-builders, but the good stuff is in the branches.

The reason I chose the Deathmatch Titan, MegaTitan cross-breed is that, it is more interesting when the monster you are fighting has something to say on subjects such as your demise, and how "aren't all these funny little monkeys squishy?".
If your trusty old translator from the Vortex Rikers is still functioning, it may well let you in on the secret world of the Titan :wink:

I have not even discussed the powers/weapons of the Titan, or what it could look like!
The glimpses in the film Cloverdale reminded me of our over-grown friend, and you don't see much.
Maybe the group here may like to suggest something ?

A beta map has just been posted at UT99.org with interactive scenery. This also makes me think...
How about (map dependant) the titan can smash down a wall or building, and throw the rubble at you? He has to find/make his own ammo, gradually leaving you less and less cover.
Trees I think should be thrown (literally) into the equation. Have it tear up the woodland looking for the annoying little monkeys with their stinging sticks.
The low poly model packs by William Sherriff, and the SilverIbex street decos could also provide a Titan in the city with ammo.

I saw something earlier in this thread about melee combat. Can ChaosUT work with U1 ? There may be some other melee animations you can use.

Done now. Need a cuppa. Then gonna sort my profile.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012, 11:05

evilgrins wrote:Sorry if I detracted a bit but if you want I can port you some skins from that stuff.

Yea, I would very much like that. Thanks!

jaypeezy wrote:Skaarj Trooper wearing a thick winter jacket/pants, maybe a warmer sort of helmet.

That is very doable. I thought that would be possible without creating new model meshes. Because the new meshes is what I'm mainly on about here. Not scripting, not texturing - meshes. The rest is an addition. It is kind of a meshpack for those, who what to script their own pawns and use in their SP packs.

jaypeezy wrote:Half Life Barnacle creature

I'm sorry but I don't think that porting creatures from other realms is a good way to go here. I kind of feel that Half-Life monsters don't fit Unreal world.

@Dr.Flay:

I'm not sure what do you need me for. Huge titan mesh - tessellated, more detailed - I can do. Scripting, not really. I only 'add a bits' to where I think they will be working well for standard Unreal Single Player experience. Or, I add easter eggs for some standard meshes not changing the script. I really am not up creating a quite complicated pawn from scratch. Sorry.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012, 14:29

Skaarj Officers with cloaks.
Lol
ImageImage

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 01:17

UBerserker wrote:Skaarj Officers with cloaks.
Lol

"I'm Bat-Skaarj"

Actually, it's not too an out there idea. There's someone on this forum who's userpic is a SkaarjTrooper but the thing looks a lot more heavily armored than any SKtrooper I've ever seen. Keep forgetting to ask him about that.

I dunno if the Spatial Fear thing can be adapted. All human actors in the game emit a scent marker that the monsters can track, literally finding you on any map because they hunted your trail. I don't understand a thing about scripting, but it's basically this:
//=============================================================================
// Spatial Fear
// Name: SFPheromone
// Description: A simple actor that represents a scent mark, constantly generated
// by the main actor Jael during gameplay. These marks are used by
// "smell enabled" scripted pawns, to track the player by scent.
//
// Author: Markus Nuebel
//=============================================================================
class SFPheromone extends Actor;

var float m_fImportance; // Private: How important this pheromone is: Between 0.0 and 1.0
var Actor m_actInstigator; // Private: Source of scent

function PostBeginPlay()
{
Velocity = (Vector(Rotation) + VRand()) * (80 * FRand() + 20);
// Velocity.z += 18;
// Call to base class
Super.PostBeginPlay();
}

simulated function Tick( float DeltaTime )
{
if ( Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer )
{
m_fImportance = LifeSpan / Default.LifeSpan;
ScaleGlow = Lifespan;
AmbientGlow = ScaleGlow * 255;
DrawScale = 4*m_fImportance;
}
// Call to base class
Super.Tick(DeltaTime);
}

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 01:27

This one here is special. If you know how Titan can be 'woken up' from his sitting position, try that with this one instead of "Sitting" type in "InMud" in the Orders property XD

Release later.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 01:32

Ohh, that one looks very unique. The hair makes it look like the grandpa of Titans :3 Very nice work!
Though, lol @ the stock texture on the arm "hair"
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 01:38

That latest titan is looking rather... metal!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 01:41

Holy crap, excellent use of those moss/vine textures!

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 03:12

For some reason there's something in the shading above the titan that made me think for a second it had wings.

Which would be kinda cool.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Previous Next