UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

UDS/interpolation point tutorials?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: UDS/interpolation point tutorials?

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012, 23:19

Does anyone know how to properly use the UDS Demo stuff that you get with RTNP. I have tried using it in past (with gudance from End.unr) and failed miserably :( . I also can't find any proper tutorials. Please help!
Last edited by SteadZ on 30 Aug 2012, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar SteadZ

Subject: Re: UDS tutorials?

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012, 19:48

If no-one knows how to use these (I wasn't sure how many people would) could I get help with interpolation points or could someone tell me another way if possible?

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: UDS/interpolation point tutorials?

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012, 17:45

I don't think the UDS demo has been used anywhere aside from RtNP. I tried using it before and I couldn't wrap my head around it.

If you would like, I could make a quick interpolation point tutorial. I haven't worked with them in a while, though, so it probably won't be the best.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012, 19:01

Thanks!

I tried to make a cutscene with the UDS stuff by following what they did in RTNP, and I got to the point where I could watch from one camera, and that was it. I also tried to make a spaceship fly into the air, but the attach mover wasn't working for some reason, so that failed...

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012, 19:35

i tinkered with interpoints a bit , but it didnt intrest me to much , i like to play . not watch cutscenes...

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UMS ... onTutorial
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Mak ... ation_Path
one thing they dont mention in the defualt gametypemay need to be changed in the map to introgam game e i think also see legacy :cinimatics

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012, 19:51

This is going to be pretty basic, but I hope it's useful all the same. I got these shots from Unreal.unr. I got little to no sleep last night, so I probably messed up somewhere. Don't hesitate to point it out if I did.

IMPORTANT: The first thing you'll want to do is change the gametype in LevelInfo to Class'UnrealI.EndGame'. Without it, none of this will work properly.

Let's start with the trigger:

The trigger is what triggers the SpecialEvent, and the SpecialEvent is what sets the interpolation sequence in motion. Its trigger type is set to TT_PlayerProximity, so when a player touches the trigger, the SpecialEvent will activate. The Event is set to Intro.

SpecialEvent:

The SpecialEvent's tag is set to Intro. In "Object," set the InitialState to PlayerPath. This will force the player to follow the interpolation points when the trigger is activated and the first interpolation point is touched.

Last but not least, the InterpolationPoint.

bEndOfPath is self explanatory. If bEndOfPath is set to true, the sequence ends.
bSkipNextPath skips the next path if it's set to true.
FovModifier changes the player's field of view depending on the number set.
Position is the number of the interpolation point in the sequence. Always start with 0; 0 is the first number in the sequence, not 1. Start with 0, then 1, then 2, and so on.
RateModifier dictates how fast the player transitions to the next interpolation point.

I don't have any idea what ScreenFlashFog and ScreenFlashScale do. I've never used them before.

Rotation is one of the most important parts of an InterpolationPoint sequence. If the InterpolationPoint is rotated at a 90 degree angle, the player will look at a 90 degree angle. Rotation determines where the player will be looking.

It's always a good idea to put the PlayerStart above the SpecialEvent and the Trigger. This way, the player will 'fall' into the sequence smoothly and the player probably won't even notice that this has happened. If you're making an Unreal.unr style map where the player keeps looping around an area, never set EndOfPath to true. On the other hand, if you're making an introduction map where you want to level to end at the final interpolationpoint, put a Teleporter near or on top of the point to link your level to the next map.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012, 20:08

Thanks Teridax, that is a lot simpler than the UDS stuff.

Bob, is UMS just for UT99, or is it also compatible for Unreal?

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012, 05:38

I kinda pointed to that primarily for the interpolation example.
I am not sure if ums exists for u1probably not ,I heard rumors someone made a mod that does cinimatatics like ums for unreal tho , not sure who has it,, didnt mean to confuse you.

User avatar Dozey
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013, 12:35

Funny that UT has got more better stuff than classic Unreal 1. That's why most of teams are making mods under UT oldskool.
Return to Napali IV: Napali War Coming soon....
http://dozeyunreal.webs.com