This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[solved] Bizarre read file error

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xortion
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: [solved] Bizarre read file error

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013, 21:04

Hi all,

This all started a little while ago when I copied my UT map files from Computer -> External Hard Drive -> Laptop. Only the files most recently updated are affected.

When I try to open them, they give me this error:

The catch is that the same files work on my other laptop and my computer. This laptop is the only one that seems to be affected.

Things I've already tried:
-Completely deleted UT and re-installed it, and added maps afterward without overwriting anything.
-Took working versions of map and attempted to open them.
-Copied working UT from working laptop to bugged laptop.

EDIT: After trying pretty much everything, I copied the working version of UT from one laptop (system files) and replaced the bad version on the bad laptop. Odd thing is it wasn't working with a fresh start of UT, but rather a replacement.
Last edited by xortion on 12 Feb 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Bizarre read file error

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013, 21:28

That's really weird and I've never seen an error like that before in UT. My guess would be faulty RAM or hard drive. But since it's Win7/Vista, you could also have permissions issues (though the error is a lot clearer in that case usually); if you installed the game to Program Files (x86), try moving it to a non-system folder.

But if it only happens on one machine, especially after reinstalling (from CD?) something is probably wrong with the machine or the source files. If it's an old CD, there could be corrupt files involved as well.