ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Layers or something...

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Anders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Layers or something...

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 13:53

Hello geeks!
I'm trying to make a multiple-floor building, but it's kinda impossible so work with one floor while all the other floors are stacked ontop of eachother it in the editor.
Is there some kind of layer-funktion that I hace missed, that makes it possible to put everyting on for example floor two in a cetain laye to be turned on and off easily?
I have not found anything like that, at least.

Weekend greetings! / Noob

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Layers or something...

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 14:14

Grouping.

What you do is:
You select the "Camera/Movement" tool from the left menu (the first from the top, camera icon) then in a side view you hold down ALT + CTRL and drag your mouse to select multiple objects (floor 1 for example)
In the TOP menu you select the 'G' icon which stands for Grouping and you create a new group. If you have actors selected it adds them automatically to a group. You can do that manually of course later. Remember, that every actor can be in multiple groups, that's why there's a + and - icon. If a group doesn't have any actors in it it is automatically deleted from the group list.
You can later on select all these objects by selecting the group and clicking the red square button, or hide it by ticking the box next to a group name.

Hope it helps.

Anders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 15:53

Z-enzyme wrote:Grouping...

Z-enzyme, my new best friend... \o/
Thanx a million! I must confess that I've never even seen that G-button before
(I swear it wasn'th there yesterday) It did the job just like I wanted to.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 16:02

Glad to hear that XD
If you have any more questions there's a bunch of people here who will gladly help.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 17:24

Grouping pretty much makes large, complex maps possible to understand. I don't know how I'd manage my maps without them. I mean just look at this craziness (and this only shows about half!):

REALLY helps to have consistent prefixing schemes for groups as well. I use L- for lights, D- for decorations, BSP- for sections of a map that include brushes and usually everything else, xBSP- for individual groups of brushes like prefabs which are in different sections but may need to be converted to solid/semisolid/deleted/disabled to speed up rebuilds/etc., S- for sound-generating actors, stuff like that.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013, 18:47

oh...

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013, 11:41

Call me st00pid but I never really knew how to use groups before...still don't LOL. I wanna like Waff's post cause I see the wireframe of Hell Castle and I see the Winamp icon! So many things I REALLY should learn about the editor...ugh...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013, 17:36

Using groups is really easy. You select the actors you want to group, click New Group, name it, done. You can then select other actors, select the group(s), then click Add To Group and that links those as well. You can remove actors from a group by selecting them, then selecting the group(s), and clicking Remove From Group. You can remove the entire group by deleting it outright or selecting all the actors in it and removing them from the group.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013, 06:06

What do they do? I get really confused about mapping at times. I also want to LEARN how to do a MOVER properly!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013, 09:11

woah. Holy shit. I should have known something awesome like this existed. I don't have a ued install right now so can't test it, but for clarification does it work like this:

You can hide all actors but the ones in a certain group? do work on them, then make everything reappear? Again, holy shit.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013, 09:32

Yes. It works like that.

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013, 14:28

You can easily select all actors in a group, then Show Selected Actors Only, then rebuild only visible actors and yeah. Super fast.