Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Enzyme's 3D Studio Max Tutorials

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Enzyme's 3D Studio Max Tutorials

Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013, 17:24

A quickie - just showing the use of 'pelt'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63IWaU6Td_Y

More to come.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Enzyme's 3D Studio Max Tutorials

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 08:38

Blah, never bothered to learn about those seams and stuff. Relax does all the job in the end, anyway. Just generate UV islands in any way you like (I stitch polys manually), relax and voila!

(However, I'm convinced that pelt mapping will be faster for models with a lot of polygons)

I have a question: what should you do if Relax screws your UV island? You know, sometimes it just doesn't work.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 08:50

a quick way to unwrap a uv is to take a cylinder or square and get the entire object inside of it. Then, it should have a complete 360 view of the object... go into the uv viewer. And then look for the option "Flatten Map" I think, that is what I found to be the quickest and most efficient way to map something. But the downside to doing this is that things will look somewhat scrambled if your model is very high poly. I managed to get some really low poly stuff to look nice in a swift click of a button though. It doesn't have to have seems, so if you are planning on just being completely lazy about mapping... that is how it's done lol

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 11:26

diamond wrote:I have a question: what should you do if Relax screws your UV island? You know, sometimes it just doesn't work.

Hit ctrl+z and fix the island map. Relax doesn't work when the island has holes or might not work on inverted (flipped) islands. Mm, can't say for sure what else might be the problem. I tend to stick to one technique and it never fails me. I'd need to see the relaxed island to tell you more.

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013, 04:47

Enzyme, do you know anything about how to use Box Volumes as Bones... it was done for UT99. I sort of get the hint it might be CAT due to the name of one of the models that does that. But below are two photos of the Brock UT99 Skeletal Mesh, using the 'Box' Biped. Most of the parts are named after body parts, like Head, Hands, Feet, Legs etc...

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013, 09:24

Is it nessecary to use triangles in 3DS MAX for Unreal, and if so, how do you get triangles?

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013, 14:27

As it comes to first question - box volumes - I'll look into it. I always used Link Length in Physique options. And FYI all UT models that you can download use Physique as bones with property Display As Box set to true. I don't think they used any specific technique to attach that skin to bones.
As it comes to triangles - don't bother. Every mesh is treated as triangles in 3D Studio Max (I'm not talking here about Nurb surfaces or Splines) but if you must convert something to tirangles collapse it to a Mesh Editable and all faces, quads, octagons are made of triangles. There's also an option to make an edge Visible in Edge subobject editing tool. I'll explain more later.