Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Mover Keyframe Controller?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Mover Keyframe Controller?

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 08:59

I thought it would be a great idea to make a Player Controller for mover keyframes. Something along the lines of Amnesia the Dark Descent. The idea has been shot down a few times, but I am sure it isn't completely impossible. I figure the movement or axis of the mouse can make the mover proceed forward or backwards in keyframes. Anyone here willing to give this a shot with me, just let me know... I have a friend named Bleeder that I talked to about this. It seems like it would be a neat thing for giving the player more interaction. It would also be nice with testing the Static Mesh mover in 227...

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Mover Keyframe Controller?

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 11:31

I'm not sure I'm following you. You want that in game, so a mover would follow the players mouse? So, I do up, mover goes forward? I do left, mover turns, and so on?
If so, it's not that difficult. I made a simpler version but controlled with Computer Panel.
The mover though can't be treated as a mover, but as projectile, collisions won't work, and no keyframes will be used or stored.

Bleeder91<NL>

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 14:13

Basically it's like this, just made this from scrap and it's flawed as hell, but it moves along with your view:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3834ijyqlv4c ... lMover.rar
If you walk up to it, it moves either up or down, depending on your screen view. Also each frame triggers a different event. Will only go up or down for now though.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013, 17:48

Bleeder91<NL> wrote:Basically it's like this, just made this from scrap and it's flawed as hell, but it moves along with your view:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3834ijyqlv4c ... lMover.rar
If you walk up to it, it moves either up or down, depending on your screen view. Also each frame triggers a different event. Will only go up or down for now though.

Looks pretty good, I tested it out. And it does actually follow the mouse, quite incredible really.

Z-enzyme wrote:I'm not sure I'm following you. You want that in game, so a mover would follow the players mouse? So, I do up, mover goes forward? I do left, mover turns, and so on?
If so, it's not that difficult. I made a simpler version but controlled with Computer Panel.
The mover though can't be treated as a mover, but as projectile, collisions won't work, and no keyframes will be used or stored.

Sort of, I think the point was sort of on the lines of manually controlling mover keyframes use with your mouse. Thanks for sharing Bleeder, that is pretty much the root of how the mod would work.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013, 00:10

Can't be done in UT I don't think.

They give you 8 keyframes, and movers always want to go back to keyframe 0 no matter what.

The only thing I can think of is those interpolation points, that I never used before.
Just ban everyone

xRedStar

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013, 07:23

redeye wrote:Can't be done in UT I don't think.

They give you 8 keyframes, and movers always want to go back to keyframe 0 no matter what.

The only thing I can think of is those interpolation points, that I never used before.

I actually tweaked the mover some more, and now the mover is only controlled by your actions and not a sequence. Thanks to Bleeder for the original code, this could prove to be an excellent addition to mappers. I have a few kinks to work out, for instance.. the mover only works from keys 0-1 so far. I think it is fixable, but I'll need to look over things real well or maybe show bleeder.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013, 08:02

Download DM-Warzone for Unreal. Someone kinda did it in that map like 13 years ago (basically a crude way to use movers like turrets and tank cannons).