Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Getting UV mapping to work in Unreal.

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Getting UV mapping to work in Unreal.

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 09:17

EDIT: I've given up all hope of ever fixing this. Screw 3ds2unr, screw blender, screw WHATEVER is making this unnecessarily difficult. If anyone want's the .blend or .3DS I exported. PM me and I'll send it your way, if you find a way to fix it then thank you and please tell me what you did. I looked everywhere, found NO answers NO explanations as to why this is happening. I follow every single tutorial to the last word. So yeah, do it for me please whoever you are.

No matter what the hell I do, nothing seems to work.

So tell me how hard it is to UV map a 2 triangle plane for use as a Unreal vertmesh?

Really what's the massive secret behind this because I can't even use the UV maps jackrabbit made for a tank body I made that I was going to use in Unreal, it looked fine in Blender and looked fine in AccuTrans 3D, but 3ds2unr treats as if I didn't UV map it at all, and does not give me any warnings about UV mapping either.

Google is useless, so I'm resorting to "Someone tell me the answer now please. Fix it for me please.", I've wasted enough hours trying to get this to work.... I'm tired of shifting through pointless search results that aren't even relevant to what I'm looking for. And everytime I search for Unreal in UV mapping, I get f'ing Unreal Engine 3 results.

Screenshots:

What I have in Blender:
What happens in Unreal (note the "absence" of any UV mapping at all):

I pray for the gods of UV Mapping to assist me in figuring out this utter BS.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Getting UV mapping to work in Unreal.

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 15:54

I don't use Blender, but the problem looks similar to one I've had with 3DS Max. 3DS Max is less picky about where the UV maps go than Unreal is, so something like this-

-looks normal until the mesh is imported into Unreal. If you send me the 3DS file, Unreal model, and the code you used, I should be able to tell what the problem is.

Edit: Also, what is your material called? If it isn't skin#, that might cause problems.

Edit 2: Is the bottom part of the first image the UV editor? Ignore what I first said if it is. Sorry, I don't know Blender's interface at all.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 17:47

Yeah it's the UV editor at the bottom, all I did was select the whole plane and did UV Unwrap. That basically made it work with practically everything I threw at it EXCEPT Unreal.

Also the material is supposed to be called SKIN# and not just SKIN? Man screw Legend for not disclosing that in the god damn readme...

I already sent this to Turboman but if you PM me your email address I'll give you the file as well. I don't feel like wasting time tracking down 3DSMax, and I'm already used to using Blender.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 17:53

By skin#, I mean skin0, skin01, etc. Anyway, I'll send you my email.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 18:03

Make sure the texture coordinates are fully bounded by 0 and 1 (that is, the box on your UV mapping). I'd also avoid putting any vertices right on the edge.

How you are importing your models is also important. If you are using 3ds2unr, make sure when you are invoking the pagan ritual that your pronunciation of the elder gods' names are correct. It is also worth noting that the black candles should be made from duck fat or goat fat, never any modern wax. Some even suggest using real goats blood for the pentagram, but personally I've found boar blood works just as well.

Joking aside the version of 3ds2unr I use came with a word document with a lot of helpful information. I got it from http://www.oldunreal.com/tools.html

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 18:39

I suck at Pagan rituals... also I think I have the very same thing you're talking about, the word document didn't even mention what AlCapowned mentioned which is BS...

Turboman alerted me to something but I'm going to see what AlCapowned has to say as well, I'd like to have as much input on this so I can not be a total idiot and loose confidence over silly issues.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 19:03

You should use UnrealNST to look at the UV maps of your vertex mesh.
http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/otherstuff/UNSTv1b.zip

Select your mesh, and choose options -> mapping mode. Then go to skin -> open and choose your skin.

Edit: I used U3D to convert the mesh and it worked, but 3ds2unr caused your problem.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 19:09

It says there's one "mapping" vert, and when I apply the skin and go into mapping mode it looks exactly like how I made it in Blender.

So what now? Also I sent you the 3DS file via email.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 19:12

I sent U3D to you in an email. 3ds2unr seems to have a problem that U3D doesn't have with converting the 3ds file.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 19:28

It works, and I was even able to get the poly to be modulated.

However there's odd seams crisscrossing it, I'm not entirely sure why either.

Also it appears to make the mesh two-sided when I only want it to be one sided. 3ds2unr makes it one sided but refuses to digest the UV map. U3D handles the UV map but makes the model two-sided all the time...

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 20:00

I'm not sure about the seam problem, but UnrealFX can set flags like two-sided.

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/otherstuff/UnrealFX.zip

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 12:02

Okay with help from AlCapowned and Turboman I'm tempted to think that Blender is just not saving the UV's to the exported 3DS properly... not sure what to do from here, dunno' if I should track down a older version of Blender or try to make milkshape work on a modern GPU...

Thanks for the help both of you, you really made my day.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 18:53

Draco Nihil wrote:I'm tempted to think that Blender is just not saving the UV's to the exported 3DS properly
They still haven't fixed that? Embarrassing. That bug has existed for years.

Personally I use Wings3D for modelling, but you could use it as an intermediary between Blender and 3ds2unr. (Export as .obj or something, import in wings and export as .3ds)

Wings, like Blender, is free and open source.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 22:23

Wow... Well that's just a load of bullshit right there.

I'll check out Wings3D, thank you for pointing this out.