Scout-kun is a lie... right?

XRay Glasses (mover)

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: XRay Glasses (mover)

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 16:17

So I'm building an add-on for my U1 coop server and I want to lean heavily on encouraging exploration. I've been coding on some items for an 'explorer's toolbelt' and one of the items is a pair of XRay glasses. These look like simple sunglasses but when equipped they let you see things in your HUD. Here's an early demo to give you the idea of how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3ersaTV3s

Now this version was for seeing other players and I was coding it with the idea of making a relic out of it with a timed amount of superman vision before it ran out. It works pretty good and I'll post it to anyone that wants it for their project.

Anyway I want to take this same functionality and instead of seeing players I'd like for it to highlight movers. Something like a wireframe glow around the mover would be ideal as this would make hidden doors appear, you'd know doors that are just decorations (don't you hate walking into a decoration door? I sure as hell do), and other triggered things like buttons and switches would now be clear. I'm struggling with the 'how' part on this though. Anyone got any ideas on implementation?

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: XRay Glasses (mover)

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 22:48

Interesting idea. It would be at home in a mod like Thieverey or a magic/psychic-oriented SP game.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 02:23

ignoring the possibility of highlighting the doors for a moment ,
Take what you did above but trace to mover instead as such,
have it display their tag and event on the hud as well.

Having a hand pop up on your screen when you approach movers/triggers , like in RTCW , would probably be awesome to.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 02:58

You know, thinking about this your simple suggestion may be the direction I take. It would be easy, clean, and neat in the HUD. I'm going to try this and see. I'll post back with some test results.

Edit: This is not going to work right I think. Movers that are embedded into the wall won't display a floating tag correctly (think the first door in Foundry for example) even with a radiusactor check. Many movers do just fine with the tag but it's really the doors I want to show most of all and they are the hardest to get working. This is really going to need some sort of outline around the entire mover or something like that to have the effect I really want.