Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, zYnthetic, ividyon

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 13:19

Hi there guys,

As some of you may know, you can edit the poly flags of _d.3d models before import with a program called UnrealFX, therefore making single polys translucent, environment mapped, unlit, etc. However it doesn't support .psk files.

Question: is there any existing tool already to do the same for .psk files?

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 15:05

Normally, it is done in ActorX during generation of PSK.
Just name the materials you assign to the model accordingly.
Please notice how materials are named: skin00_alph, skin01_trans_envir. This does all the wizardry.
Probably you know about this already...

If you don't have source files for ActorX, i think there is no tools to modify existing PSK.

EDIT: there was my old post about it: http://unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=523&p=27354&hilit=twosid#p27354
EDIT2: oh well, you were present at that thread, too. I guess you really want to modify existing PSK.

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 18:55

Thanks, I didn't remember about that on those editors.
The reason I ask is because MilkShape supports the export of .psk/.psa files nativelly, but doesn't support those flags afaik, so I need to do it post-export.
Probably I will leave MilkShape anyway, but it has a few things which are far easier and reliable to do there rather than anywhere else.

Well, since there's no such tool, I might as well build one (perhaps in PHP) to do so. I checked the .psk file format, and I saw that it's not possible to do it in single polys (at least from what the binary specification shows), I can only do it for materials, which makes sense given that you do it from the materials too in 3ds, which also narrows down the amount of flags I have to setup, which in itself becomes an advantage too.

Well, again, thank you for the explanation on things, it will surely come in handy. :)