ividyon will never get this done, will he.

UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 13:19

Hi there guys,

As some of you may know, you can edit the poly flags of _d.3d models before import with a program called UnrealFX, therefore making single polys translucent, environment mapped, unlit, etc. However it doesn't support .psk files.

Question: is there any existing tool already to do the same for .psk files?

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 15:05

Normally, it is done in ActorX during generation of PSK.
Just name the materials you assign to the model accordingly.
Please notice how materials are named: skin00_alph, skin01_trans_envir. This does all the wizardry.
Probably you know about this already...

If you don't have source files for ActorX, i think there is no tools to modify existing PSK.

EDIT: there was my old post about it: http://unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=523&p=27354&hilit=twosid#p27354
EDIT2: oh well, you were present at that thread, too. I guess you really want to modify existing PSK.

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: UnrealFX equivalent for .psk files?

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 18:55

Thanks, I didn't remember about that on those editors.
The reason I ask is because MilkShape supports the export of .psk/.psa files nativelly, but doesn't support those flags afaik, so I need to do it post-export.
Probably I will leave MilkShape anyway, but it has a few things which are far easier and reliable to do there rather than anywhere else.

Well, since there's no such tool, I might as well build one (perhaps in PHP) to do so. I checked the .psk file format, and I saw that it's not possible to do it in single polys (at least from what the binary specification shows), I can only do it for materials, which makes sense given that you do it from the materials too in 3ds, which also narrows down the amount of flags I have to setup, which in itself becomes an advantage too.

Well, again, thank you for the explanation on things, it will surely come in handy. :)