Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Pawn Spawning Via Ambushpoints

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Pawn Spawning Via Ambushpoints

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013, 23:47

I have a Brute, with four places I want him to randomly spawn at when the level begins. I have him placed at one of these spots. I also have three AmbushPoints placed at the remaining positions. I believe I have him set up correctly...

Brute
  • Order = "Ambushing"
  • OderTag = "BrutusSpawnus"
  • bFixed Start = False

AmbushPoint(s)
  • Tag(s) = "BrutusSpawnus"
  • Rotated in the correct facing position(s)
  • In contact with other path nodes (dunno if this is relevant but this means he can walk away from each of these points to pursue the player)

I have tried several things like setting the Brute's TeamTag to the same as the AmbushPoints and placing an extra ambush point on the Brute's starting position, but these do not appear to change anything. I also attempted the setup above with a Krall in place of the Brute and that didn't work. Followed both the instructions from Lightning_Hunter and Unreal Wiki (essentially identical), but, as stated, without success.

I am using 227i, so I might just open the level up in UT as well to see if there's a difference. Otherwise, am I missing anything, or is there no obvious cause to why this is happening?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject: Re: Pawn Spawning Via Ambushpoints

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 03:40

I just want to check back here again, as I'm still experiencing the problem even after trying a couple more things. I'm probably causing my own problems as I've never really done complex AI setups before now, but I don't see how I could be messing up such a simple process.

So...does anyone have a clue what's going wrong? As stated above, I simply want a single brute to appear in one of four AmbushPoints randomly at the start of the level. Just having someone walk me through the exact steps I should take (and of any hidden/stupid UEd restrictions I have to follow) to get this asshole to pop to one of these spots would be a good starting point to ensure I'm not doing anything wrong in my process.

I'd be tankful fo' ya help, if ye's can spare m' any.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 20:43

This is probably a dumb question, but do the brutes seem to have plenty of room to spawn?

Would you be okay with sending me the map so I could take a look? It's easier for me to understand things when I can see them in the editor.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 20:55

Teridax wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but do the brutes seem to have plenty of room to spawn?

Would you be okay with sending me the map so I could take a look? It's easier for me to understand things when I can see them in the editor.

Brute has plenty of spawn room on all positions. To your second question, map's off-limits. I already spoke with someone else and we may have figured out a solution, but not a direct one to the problem listed here. I'll use that solution as long as nothing is posted in this thread that fixes the issue, but at the moment I'll be using the next best thing (and I may even get it to work better than my initial idea). Thank you for showing interest in helping, though :)
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 21:50

Judging from the code Brute.tag must match AmbushPoint.tag. Looks like Brute.OrderTag isn't used in this case.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 22:19

Thank you for the information. However, after deleting the brute and his three Ambush Points and replacing them with fresh actors, following which I did what you suggested, the brute still did not spawn anywhere other than his initial placement position.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar jaypeezy

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013, 05:02

I just recently did something like that for a map I'm working on. I'm using a brute as well, though it's in Unreal Tournament and it's Waffnuffly's EXU mod. I don't think it should be that different, though... and I'll also emphasize that I placed pathnodes all about the spawnpoints, and made sure to rebuild pathing before launching my map. Maybe that has an effect on whether it works or not. Several run-through's of the map confirm that the spawnpoints work; "rocketguy" spawns here and there during different attempts.

Right next to this RocketBrute is one of three ambushPoints.

I'm not sure if it has to be OrderTag, or Brute.Tag that's set to the AmbushPoint.Tag. So, I went with both :B

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013, 16:08

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:I am using 227i, so I might just open the level up in UT as well to see if there's a difference. Otherwise, am I missing anything, or is there no obvious cause to why this is happening?

It's really because of Unreal 227i. I tried it myself and I couldn't succeed in 227i. I will write a bug report. NavigationPoints have an internal variable called 'taken'. If taken is true, the AmbushPoint can't be possessed. I made a map in 227i (without a pawn inside) and tried 'editactor class=AmbushPoint' ingame. Result: taken=true.

I also tried to rebuild the path network in UT99. taken wasn't changed from true to false in this case. But looks like rebuilding path network in 227i will change taken from false to true.

So what you probably have to do is:
1. delete all Ambushpoints
2. add AmbushPoints and build path Network in UT99 (or non 227 Unreal)
3. never rebuild path network in 227i

Radi
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013, 02:10

Should be fixed now in 227. Try download the new build :)