Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Lighting question (really basic)

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Lighting question (really basic)

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013, 17:44

Hi,

I'd like some help with the following problem: for some reason, lighting a surface of only 16 units in width and encased between two perpendicular surfaces of great height but only 28 in breadth seems to be impossible! I know I'm an unrealed noob but up until now, "Lighting for Dummies" proved enough! (Thanks to Mr Prophet there)
The image below says it all really:

Only the very top of this surface gets a bit of light (note: the closest light actor is set to "special lit", as is the said surface, and has a radius of 8! but the side walls seem to block everything), but the strange thing is the "core" lights do manage to illuminate the side surfaces (a bit, but - not visible on this pic - the illumination is clear). I just wanted some light sources to fit along that "shaft" so that the player is not left in complete darkness when taking the lift (you can see the mover on the top view). Also: most of that vertical surface in there is NOT the same surface as the regularly spaced "lights" (the front view betrays how I did this - very basic, hey?) and is naturally not set to "special lit"! Oh, and yeah when I set the light source surfaces to unlit or "Force View Zone" then BAM they look real good but of course the rest of the vertical surface in there is still pitch black and it doesn't illuminate the side walls more so it looks all wrong :/ I want it to be better than that! :B
I also tried first fitting the special lit light actor only, then the special lit and core light actors together inside that tight space but it made things worse (everything went darker).

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Lighting question (really basic)

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013, 17:55

Er, Bright Corners + High shadow detail?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013, 18:00

Haha - I feel so silly now! Thanks a lot Z-enzyme - did the trick, I'm so happy :P
Cheers! :)
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013, 18:05

While you're at it, fix that 1UU misaligned brush :o

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013, 18:14

Hey good eye Frieza, thanks for making me see that, I took care of it now :D