Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

HOM fun - getting rid of HOMs?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: HOM fun - getting rid of HOMs?

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 23:09

Hi,

So I thought I was being quite careful but, as was to be expected, I ended up creating a couple of HOM effects. :oops: Everything's on the grid, double checked. Now two of these HOMs can only be seen under a very extreme and specific angle of view - so they appear small, may pass unnoticed, and I consider them minor issues. One however, can be seen in the middle of the screen when playing, though only when standing in a very specific spot - regardless, it ain't cool! :shake:

Just wondering if anyone has good tips on how to eliminate HOM effects and perhaps guide me towards a good tutorial on the topic. I haven't finished building everything in the area where the most annoying HOM is, so it could disappear later on I guess. Also, would replacing some geometry elements by semi-solids help in this case? (the HOM in question is around a pillar and some vertex edited lamp with slanting sides)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: HOM fun - getting rid of HOMs?

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 23:12

"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 23:18

BSP holes that appear when staring at specific points are basically unavoidable however solid your map is technically (past a certain level of complexity), trying to fix it will likely lead to bigger issues. If it's at a major scene in the map you might be able to move it around a bit by experimenting with brush solidity a bit, but removing the hole entirely is unlikely.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 23:28

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies! :)

Mman: yeah I guess I'll make different files of my level when trying to tackle these issues, just in case! I'm really trying to make my map as bug free as possible as I go, so as not to end up having a big level full of little issues here and there! Slow progress but I'll keep at it until I have a finished product :)
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014, 03:33

Update: turns out that annoying HOM disappeared after I finished building everything in the relevant area! The few remaining HOMs don't break any views as they are limited to very specific and extreme angles of view. :D
cheers!

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 03:57

you could also put a sheet or non-solid over that spot so that no one can see it anymore or a block player (or a decoration box in the way) so that the player can't get into the position to see it. If it's non-solid it won't mess up the bsp anymore, but it will keep people from seeing it, which also stops the fps drain.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014, 21:37

Hey thanks Ozma777, interesting tip! Currently I haven't got any issues but if a HOM appears face on in some finished area I'll make sure to try your trick! :)
cheers!