A random sentence for a random mind.

From Blender to UT

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Torax
Pupae Pupae

Subject: From Blender to UT

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014, 00:11

Hello guys.
While working in Blender creating models which i later will import into Unreal, found a few questions. Is it possible to make things such as UnrealFX can do? I mean how is it possible to make material on the model, which later will be baked into texture, become not affected by lighting?

For example, in UnrealFX polygons can be set to bUnlit=True (or something like that, cant remember). As result - in dark places of levels, polygons with this flag will be not darkened (like if they emit light) and texture will shown as with intensive light source. Can such thing be done in blender to work correctly in Unreal?

Same question about environment maps.
Unreal. Alter your reality...forever..

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: From Blender to UT

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014, 00:40

It may be possible by giving your materials very specific names (see the documentation that comes with 3ds2unr) but the surest way is to export to 3ds, import using 3ds2unr (or another tool) and then use UnrealFX.

A word of caution about using Blender with Unreal or UT: 3ds2unr often doesn't seem to like the UVs on models exported to 3ds from Blender. I don't know if this is fixed in the newer version of Blender, but if it isn't you can use an intermediary to get your models into Unreal (for example, Blender -> .obj -> Wings3D -> .3ds -> 3ds2unr -> UnrealFX). You might also try some alternatives to 3ds2unr if you'd rather not deal with the sacrificial voodoo magic frustrating troubleshooting that can come with using 3ds2unr.

Torax
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: From Blender to UT

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014, 11:02

Thanks for answer but what if i want to import models as skeletal (psk\psa)?
This is main question for me. I should not deal with vertex anims if there will be another way. Until it is not broken and i will not understand that i may use vertex meshes
Unreal. Alter your reality...forever..