Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[released][u1][ut] UBS.u "Unreal Buddy System"

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: UBS.u

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014, 20:48

Hey, I got the new version of this mod again and I've found that the bot isn't jumping off ledges anymore or jumping over things like he was. Originally with the first released version, on Nyleve near the start there are the two boxes and the big rock located near a nali hut. I used to test the AI there to see if he would jump from the rock to the Boxes and it had always worked fine. Until this latest version the bot fails to jump over obstructions like the table, and fails to jump off of ledges. I noticed this some with a few of the other releases, and one thing I mostly noticed is that he will just teleport every time he gets stuck (which is a lot of places). This area I am talking about is at the start of Nyleve near the first Nali Hut and the large rock with the two boxes and the mini pond of water. He failed to move into the Nali Hut while I wanted him to get some health and ammo. Originally he would jump over the space so he could go in, and then jump on top of the table to get ammo and a weapon. He couldn't do any of it in these last few versions, perhaps he needs some adjustments?

But if you're wondering why I care about this, it is mostly because this is a great area to troubleshoot the movement capabilities of the bot. How well he can path find and troubleshoot methods of reaching destinations, jumping off of the Rock to the Boxes is a characteristic I've only seen from botpack. And him know how to jump up onto the tables really used to impress me... anyways the AI has a lot of great new features so I like what you've done so far \o/

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014, 02:05

@xRedStar: Thanks for reporting this. It seems I did overwrite a HitWall function in state roaming which did some checks for jumping. It should be fixed now. I also added some more checks for when the buddy is stuck at small ledges like at the door entrance to the hut in nyleve. Let me know if it works for you :) I'm glad your interested in the AI capabilities in Unreal and functionality of this mod. As you can tell I am also intrigued by the concept of tweaking Unreal's bot AI into something that can navigate a path to find its Owner playerpawn.

Something else you guys might notice in the latest version is added support for SpecialGoal's in the roaming state. The buddy will now stop at lift exits and can properly navigate through sticky mover situations when trying to get back to the player. This also means he will now teleport much less when you're not on the elevator with him. Still tweaking, but it seems to work pretty well overall. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Link updated at first post.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014, 19:45

Working great!! best release yet, nice job!

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014, 05:23

I'm wondering how many multi-play modes have been tried.
So far I've been using it with EDM 6.
My buddy doesn't like me. He won't follow me or teleport when I ask.
I also notice that after engaging in a fire-fight, I keep finding him crouching or stuck in a corner shooting at nothing.

Grabbed the new version and will test again.

BTW this is my int file;

Code: Select all

[Public]
Object=(Name=UBS.UBSMut,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.Mutator,Description="Unreal Buddy System,Your own private team-mate")
Preferences=(Caption="Mutators",Parent="Advanced Options")
Preferences=(Caption="UnrealBuddy",Parent="Mutators",Class=UBS.MaleTwoBuddy,Immediate=True)
Preferences=(Caption="UnrealBuddyHUD",Parent="Mutators",Class=UBS.UBSMut,Immediate=True)

This way you can configure it via the advanced window, without quitting.

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014, 09:44

@Dr. Flay: I haven't tried many different multi-play modes, but if you link me to some gametypes I can test them for myself. I'm not sure if EDM 6 will behave correctly or not tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if some security checks fail on him because my buddy is bIsPlayer=true after-all. I would grab the new version again as I updated "ubs.maletwobuddy" to automatically spawn the mutator if it's missing from the map.

I also added some updates to the "Dying" state which will Teleport the buddy out of harms way in the case of it touching things like a SpecialEvent with KillInstigator toggled or a TriggerDeath. Seems to work 100% for me in all cases, but some further testing may be required.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 May 2014, 18:03

The Final version of this mod was released on the 5th of may, during the server change, so that post has been lost.
Would it be possible to either restore the post, or re-upload the file?

Thanks in Advance :)

SZ

Post Posted: 16 May 2014, 22:18

SteadZ wrote:The Final version of this mod was released on the 5th of may, during the server change, so that post has been lost.
Would it be possible to either restore the post, or re-upload the file?

Thanks in Advance :)

Thanks for alerting me to this SteadZ, I was wondering where all the great feedback went :shock:

I'll update the first post with the final version. I've made some core changes since May 5th, so if you downloaded that "final" version, please update with the new version.

I encourage people here to at least help me bug test the mod and just play it for a few stock maps or something if possible. I made some recent changes that could generate some infinite state looping which I hope is not the case, but since the changes are recent I can't be 100% sure.

If I find no infinite loops or major scriptwarnings, I consider this mod in final form and no public updates will be given until Version#2 of my mod is released publicly years from now or maybe even never (depending on public demand).

I thank everyone who has given me feedback on this forum and in-game for my mod here and I sincerely hope you enjoy the mod.

-Joseph

xRedStar

Post Posted: 17 May 2014, 20:18

I sort of see where this mod has improved a lot, but it seems like in each release certain things are toned down and others are toned up a bit. Like, in one release the bots can actually use lifts to reach a goal point. And then in others, the bots will just teleport even if there are stairs to take... and in some versions the bots wont jump off of ledges where it is required. I think in the first release the bot would jump if you jumped off of a ledge, which helped get them where they needed to be. But anyways, it would be great to see an equal amount of all of this. I think I played Bluff yesterday and the ai wasn't able to go up the stairs or get out of the water with me in some places.

Post Posted: 17 May 2014, 21:47

xRedStar wrote:I sort of see where this mod has improved a lot, but it seems like in each release certain things are toned down and others are toned up a bit. Like, in one release the bots can actually use lifts to reach a goal point. And then in others, the bots will just teleport even if there are stairs to take... and in some versions the bots wont jump off of ledges where it is required. I think in the first release the bot would jump if you jumped off of a ledge, which helped get them where they needed to be. But anyways, it would be great to see an equal amount of all of this. I think I played Bluff yesterday and the ai wasn't able to go up the stairs or get out of the water with me in some places.

Make sure you have the latest version xRedStar. I made some core changes to the AI and did some hotfixes between yesterday and today to repair such problems with the AI. I know what you refer to when you say the buddy doesn't jump after you from a ledge and I just added a hotfix for that. Please, please, please let me know if there are any other things that bother you and if you could provide specific examples of when they refuse to go up the stairs that would be great as I don't have that issues myself. Also, bots will most likely teleport out of water instead of doing "UpAndOut" to get back to the player but this issue hasn't really bothered me honestly.

EDIT: Just did a test run of Bluff and had none of these issues. Please update the package and try Bluff again and let me know if you have any issues. Thanks!

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 May 2014, 08:18

Sorry I forgot to post a link to the EDM mod as I've been so busy. Bit late now, but for reference.
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1244851451

I did mean to test it with UTeamFix, but I haven't got round to it yet.
http://wolf.tcpclan.net/projects/

I have been finding having a buddy for DM in the large maps works fairly well, but as I always use hoard zombies, he is kept very busy. He does struggle with a group of zombies though and I will often have to go and save him when his gun finally jams.

I am wondering if it would be possible to use the player/bot GUI components to make a config window for him ?
I can edit him nicely in the advanced window, but if there was a Umenu window or something, then perhaps swapping skins could be easy.

I know it is finished, but I figure this is something that could be bolted on later, rather than needing a new build.

Post Posted: 19 May 2014, 13:49

Dr.Flay wrote:I know it is finished, but I figure this is something that could be bolted on later, rather than needing a new build.

Correct. I can add a config window for the Buddy in a seperate package and release it later which I do have the intention to do eventually.

Also if you want to use a particular model/skin, just turn bRandomBuddies to false in the UBS.ini and change BuddyType="" and BuddySkin="" lines to whatever model/skin combo you prefer.

EDIT:
OFFICIAL RELEASE TIME 5/19 8:00 EST

I've updated the dropbox with the last and final version of UBS.u with some tweaks to the teleporting system and consider the mod in final form as of now. Please update your archives.

medor
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [released][u1][ut] UBS.u "Unreal Buddy System"

Post Posted: 21 May 2014, 09:48

bKillBots=True not work for UT :( only kill monsters
not try under Unreal
[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

Post Posted: 21 May 2014, 13:51

medor wrote:bKillBots=True not work for UT :( only kill monsters
not try under Unreal

Yep, UT uses "Bot" superclass and not "Bots" so of course it won't work for UT. Had I known such a thing earlier I could have coded around it.

Oh well... At least Unreal botmatch/spacemarines are still supported.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 12:15

I use Higors FerbotZ in UT, so I don't know what class they are, but there was no issue so far.
Will see how this version is.

Well for now, this is the best way to configure it. Add this to the int file;

Code: Select all

[Public]
Object=(Name=UBS.UBSMut,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.Mutator,Description="Unreal Buddy System,Your own private team-mate")
Preferences=(Caption="Mutators",Parent="Advanced Options")
Preferences=(Caption="UBS",Parent="Mutators")
Preferences=(Caption="UnrealBuddy",Parent="UBS",Class=UBS.UnrealBuddy,Immediate=True)
Preferences=(Caption="UnrealBuddyMut",Parent="UBS",Class=UBS.UBSMut,Immediate=True)
Preferences=(Caption="UnrealBuddyItem",Parent="UBS",Class=UBS.UnrealBuddyItem,Immediate=True)

I am happy with this config finally, so your own opinion of it would be nice.
Access it via the advanced options.

Love the random skins, though I wonder if they can be extended to include all skins of those classes, or if you were to pick a skin within a texture file, if it could cycle through those, rather than the base skins.
I am becoming rather fond of this mod, and enjoy having my buddies all arrive with a light-sabre :D
This also solves the problem of the buddy over-loading the dispersion pistol when surrounded by zombies.

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 18:22

I like the idea of configuring the mod through advanced options like that so I think I'll update the UBS.int later today if you don't mind. As far as custom skin support goes, because skins have no info about their corresponding model I don't think its possible without hard coding it like I did in UBS.u. I'm glad you like the mod and buddies that spawns with lightsabers sounds like a great idea to me. I might have to try that out myself...

Previous Next