UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[released][u1][ut] UBS.u "Unreal Buddy System"

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: UBS.u

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 20:33

I think I might use an inventory item that is included in the players inventory chain but isn't visible in a players inventory. Then if the player has the item in their inventory chain it will use some configuration key bind set through a UBS.ini

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 23:02

That would keep it clean as far as the player is concerned, presumably.

But it begs the question. What features to add to an interaction/orders wheel? And what style? UT bot order style, ONP esque, or something new?

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 05:23

Updated alpha to v1.1.
Dropbox link updated at first post

Here are the changes:
-Buddies will now teleport to the player when they missed a lift ride.
-Fixed obscure telefrags when Buddies setLocation to their master in special cases.
-Added "StuckAtWallLoc" vector to speed up teleporting to a player when a buddy gets stuck at a wall.
-Added "bJumpFromWallAdjust" (experimental) to prevent infinite wall adjust loops with also
the added benefit of a Buddy "unstucking" himself in many cases. *Further testing required*

@Prophet: I'd have to look at the UT bot order style and the ONP order style as I honestly forget what they even look like at all. Depending on whether I have mouse menu support or not will be a huge factor in this. I really do want to have that if possible though. I pretty want to include every section of the wheel from Fallout into the buddy system including a "Favorite Weapon" you can set for your buddy as a master which he will prefer and use in most cases. This is going to be the most challenging, because it's going to require some more rewrites in the bot code to force when to use the long ranged "rife" as opposed to the close quarters "eightball" at all times for example. Shouldn't be too tough though.

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 09:09

i'm really enjoying this mod, thanks for putting the time and effort into it. hey, if by any chance could you add the option for the bot to travel when the maps end whilst keeping inventory and respawn on player. if that is even possible, it may take a mutator or gametype :\

but yeah, i like how the bot can climb meshes and follow me anywhere almost!

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 13:37

@xRedStar: That is already put in place with the Unreal Buddy Item. Just summon the UBS.UnrealBuddyItem to add it to your inventory chain and your buddy will travel and retain his weapons and all ammo and pickups between maps with their respective charge and ammo amounts :)

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 18:01

Whenever I play team games I always have a bot follow me.
This is very useful when I get in a vehicle.
I'll definitely be testing this!

UT already has a favourite weapon system, so you should mimic that.
Medor, do you have oldskool installed ? It may help.
I will be testing in both myself.

BTW. it would be convenient to have this as a mutator so it can just be added before running a map.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 18:40

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:@xRedStar: That is already put in place with the Unreal Buddy Item. Just summon the UBS.UnrealBuddyItem to add it to your inventory chain and your buddy will travel and retain his weapons and all ammo and pickups between maps with their respective charge and ammo amounts :)

\o/

:lol:

thanks, i'm gonna play through the campaign!

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 20:48

@Flay: I can make a small mutator that will spawn the item on the player at match start. Whether or not it will show up in the mutator list for UT, I'm not sure.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014, 23:08

hey in your next update can you fix the bot so he doesn't fire at nali?

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014, 00:05

Adding the info to old Unreal mutators to make them show in the new UT style GUI is something I have done lots of.
Unreal and UT use exactly the same info.

I'll give you some examples of my updated configs
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2790

Can you add some sort of obvious feedback for when he dies.
I've put him in a big city map, but I have no idea if he is dead or alive.
How long before he re-spawns or do I have to summon him again ?
I've only found him twice :(

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014, 01:18

Look up BCC. It's an advanced bot command menu. Lets you force the bot to use a particular weapon for a set period of time, hold a position with a specific weapon for a set period of time. Other cool stuff like that. Can combine orders to make a massive, specific order. It might be worth looking at the code for that?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

medor
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 13:59

Under UT99

If i take it but run front of him he come with no weapon but if i touch it and move forward he come with a hammer.
May be i can have it like a weapon and fire for it appear ?

He search weapons for a very small proximity radius.
Can you enlarge it ?

If i not die i can't take one more. I must die before. Even if my protector died.

A UBS can take another UBS.
[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014, 03:13

Updated to version 1.2 at first post

I think I addressed most of the issues you guys were having. Let me know if I missed anything. Enjoy!

changlog:

+ Added Wandering state for Buddies that have no Master set yet. This means mappers can now place buddies in their map without any issues.
! You can now directly summon "UBS.MaleTwoBuddy" to get your buddy instead of summoning the inventory item first. Either way works though.
! JumpFromWallAdjust has been tested more thoroughly and now is a Byte datatype instead of a Bool.
* Some random access-nones. Still more to deal with though.
! Buddies don't shoot Nali anymore.
* If your Buddy dies, you can now replace him without issues.
+ Added mutator UBS.UBSMut as per requested by Dr.Flay. Hasn't been tested in mutator menu of UT99 yet as I don't have a working copy.

EDIT:
Alpha 1.3 is now available on first post. Here are the changes:

2/27/14:
^ Changed overall Buddy AI functionality in the Tactical, Charging and Hunting states to better suite fighting Unreal's Scripted Pawns.
+ Buddies now dodge enemy projectiles and can actually fight Titans now :)
+ A New Inventory item "Buddy Armor" is automatically spawned which will teleport him out of harms way when he falls into any damage zone.

2/25/14:
! Buddies can keep picking up health packs in levels without reaching a MaxHealth. A buddies health also travels between levels.
Default HP value is still 200. Adjusted for harder difficulties and/or harder campaigns with extra health packs.
+ Buddies now do a trace to their Target/Enemy before they fire their weapon to see if their Master is in the way before they shoot.
It doesn't work 100%, but it's pretty damn close.

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014, 03:58

UPDATE:

March 5th, 2014

The final alpha version is available from the link at the first post. I haven't bothered updating the readme with all the fixes in the past few days, but I'll get to it when I go to release the V1.0 Beta version of UBS. The final alpha version works well, but I still have yet to get around to fixing some minor scriptwarnings and missing or bad checks in the code. I repeat, if you have any bug reports or suggestions plz reply here!

What to expect in the Beta V1.0:
-A working command menu to send commands like "Wait Here" to your Buddy and manage his inventory.
-A "favorite weapon" system which allows the Player to suggest what playing/fighting style his Buddy should use. I am planning on rewriting the TacticalMove state and other core Unreal AI code to better allow this functionality. No piece of cake, but I can get it done.
-Improved code for fighting Boss enemies such as the Titan and Warlord. The alpha covers some of this territory, but I'm sure there is room for improvement down the line.
-A second buddy class which is a Flying helper robot. This won't make it into V1.0, but it will be in the beta at some point.

Lastly, I have a question for people who have made UMenu Mod Menu's and such:

I have a WIP mod menu for the Buddy already, but therein lies the problem. I want my UMenu buddy menu to be toggled not from the mod menu, but from an inventory item using a bound hotkey. Does anyone have any idea how I can do such a thing? TiA :)

xRedStar

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014, 03:08

hey I am using latest UBS and I just noticed that once the bot dies, and it respawns on next map change... the health HUD is gone! Just wanted to submit a quick bug report, looking forward to seeing more updates!

Previous Next