This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

A campaign with its own section in Oldskool (not "custom maps")

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: A campaign with its own section in Oldskool (not "custom maps")

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014, 20:29

Hello everyone,

Despite still being far from a release, I have recently wondered how to ensure that my level will play with the proper gametype with UT's Oldskool.
I wish to use the USPRikersGametype from Déjà Vu 2.0: to that end, I have contacted Hellscrag and found out that (remember: noob here!) I could only get the proper gametype to work by "launching the map direct and not through the SP menu in Oldskool... Because Oldskool always overrides the game type for custom maps when you launch from the menu" (Thanks to Hellscrag there!)
So - if my map is played from "Custom maps" Oldskool won't give a shit about the default USPRikersGametype I specified in "LevelInfo". And the translator screen remains too damn small!
Now I did have the idea of a small intro in mind, and possibly an outro - so although I'm not aiming to develop a fully fledged campaign as of yet, I could see the interest in having the final product appear in its own little section in the Oldskool menu - and not in "Custom maps", which presumably would ensure the proper gametype is used. Or there's something else I'm ignoring entirely.
So, the noob question of the day is: how do I make a new section for my campaign in the Oldskool menu? (Thus far, I only know how to link the maps.)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: A campaign with its own section in Oldskool (not "custom maps")

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014, 20:42

You need to make a *.u file with a mappack actor, and then make an *.int file that references that actor.

For example, here is the class file for the Fifth Vortex's entry in olFifthVortex.u:

Code: Select all

//================================================================================
// FifthVortexPack.
//================================================================================

class FifthVortexPack extends mappack
  Config(oldskool);

defaultproperties
{
    Maps(0)=EhactoraIntro
    Maps(1)=EhactoraOne
    Maps(2)=EhactoraTwo
    Maps(3)=EhactoraThree
    Maps(4)=EhactoraFour
    Maps(5)=EhactoraFive
    Maps(6)=EhactoraExtro
    Author="Rob ''Doublez-Down'' Collins and Teridax"
    Title="The Fifth Vortex"
    Screenshot=Texture'olFifthVortex.FifthVortexScreen'
}

And here is the *.int file:

Code: Select all

[public]
Object=(Name=olFifthVortex.FifthVortexPack,Class=Class,MetaClass=olroot.MapPack)

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: A campaign with its own section in Oldskool (not "custom maps")

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014, 20:57

Awesome! :tup: You made it crystal clear, thanks a lot AlCapowned! :D
Cheers!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.