Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

11th anniversary speedmapping contest?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: 11th anniversary speedmapping contest?

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:40

Shall we do it this year? Is there interest? So long as it starts after term ends, I'm down for sure. I'd love to get my hands dirty again :)
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: 11th anniversary speedmapping contest?

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:48

Man, I haven't done this in a long time. I'm interested. Another stock-assets-only round could be cool.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 17:22

I am interested too. :tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 18:20

makemeunreal wrote:I am interested too. :tup:

With all due respect; and I mean that: you've shown a lot of initiative and produced a quite promising series (which wasn't finished not even continued ) and some very interesting screenshots of projects (although they're practically all for beta (or even alpha) versions of U of for U2) ...
but ....
You never seem to finalise anything and now I see "Project Dead" all over the place??
A speedmapping contest would be great but it needs commitment!
Nobody is going to blame anyone for creating a less than perfect map, but frankly : entering implies putting your heart into it and delivering (if only as a sign of respect for the organisers and the community) (save unforeseen circumstances of course).

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 18:46

I'd be up for a mapping contest! Some constraints like brushcount/texture use would be cool, I've always been up for entering these contests but the sheer scale of some maps people make really put me off :(

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:16

Hehey, just when I thought to visit you guys you pull this stunt :P. My little (age 11) bro always wanted to make an SP campaign (in fact I saw a few attempts of his, he made some nice movers) so... we're probably in :)
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:29

salsaSkaarj wrote:
makemeunreal wrote:I am interested too. :tup:

With all due respect; and I mean that: you've shown a lot of initiative and produced a quite promising series (which wasn't finished not even continued ) and some very interesting screenshots of projects (although they're practically all for beta (or even alpha) versions of U of for U2) ...
but ....
You never seem to finalise anything and now I see "Project Dead" all over the place??
A speedmapping contest would be great but it needs commitment!
Nobody is going to blame anyone for creating a less than perfect map, but frankly : entering implies putting your heart into it and delivering (if only as a sign of respect for the organisers and the community) (save unforeseen circumstances of course).

No effect without a cause.
Nevermind.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 21:52

I think ividyon wanted to finish his USP redesign first, but afaik he also restarted school.

I believe there was also a desire for more structure and dedicated judges to prevent the drama that happened last time from happening again.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014, 06:59

wait didn't we already have an 11th back in 2011? Wouldn't it be the 14th anniversary by now?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 03:38

I always like mapping contests, only one I entered so far was the UT99.org christmas map last year (november 2012)....
DM-XC-Ozma777-UT99org.unr

I still wish I had made it DOM instead of DM, because it was too huge for bot play.

Even though I haven't yet completed my first SP map (soon I hope).
If this contest is still on, count me in.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017, 04:22

Ozma777 wrote:I always like mapping contests, only one I entered so far was the UT99.org christmas map last year (november 2012)....
DM-XC-Ozma777-UT99org.unr

I still wish I had made it DOM instead of DM, because it was too huge for bot play.

Even though I haven't yet completed my first SP map (soon I hope).
If this contest is still on, count me in.

Is it still on? Or is there another contest soon?
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017, 15:30

It would probably be wise to create a new thread for the Nth Anniversary Speedmapping Contest to garner interest since this one is so old now.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 21:54

Buff Skeleton wrote:It would probably be wise to create a new thread for the Nth Anniversary Speedmapping Contest to garner interest since this one is so old now.

Late response but I actually wish this would be a thing again
ImageImage