Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Immobilizing the player

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Immobilizing the player

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 02:27

Is there a way to prevent the player from being able to move without preventing them from being able to look around?

Basically I want the player to stop moving once they enter a drop pod. The door on it closes kind of slowly, but I didn't want it to be too fast. This has the problem of allowing the player to leave, and then the whole sequence gets screwed up. I've been trying different workarounds for this for a while, but I haven't had much success with using movers to block the player from leaving.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Immobilizing the player

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 02:41

Use a triggered zone. Once the player hits the trigger then the zone suppresses all movement.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 05:07

Three methods come to mind, but I should preface this by saying that I am assuming this is being meant as a level exit scenario or something, correct?

1) Look into Tar Zones. They are water zones with very bad mobility. Obviously you don't want to drown a player, but sometimes looking at one zone's properties can give you ideas. Simply apply the necessary changes to a normal zone. The way this could work is that they enter and immediately lose the ability to move back out. Obviously this banks on the end-of-the-level concept.

2) You can actually trigger a very slow-moving Interpolation Point sequence. This has the benefit of forcing the player into a "getting into the pod" feel, but if you can slow the IP times to a crawl you can make the player sit still for the whole duration. Benefits of this scenario is that the Interpolation Points will eventually release the player though they won't be able to look around (only where you want them to). Rule of thumb is don't add more than 14 IPs.

3) Invisible movers. This...is trickier, as you have to be careful with the mover settings. I'd make them small, and make more than one that close on all sides. Avoid crush settings, the setting for stop-when-encroach might suffice. This falls apart if you are using an actual cryo pod since Invisible Collision Hulls tear decoration models. Basically this points a physical barrier around the player in a contained space and it can be triggered as quickly as you need it to be. Obviously, you can release them as well if this is a temporary instance.

These are vanilla methods that come to mind.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 09:28

If you're using 227, you can use a dynamiczoneinfo actor to produce a triggered movement-nullifying effect without dealing with zone BSP issues too much.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 15:27

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! So far the interpolation point method seems to be working well. I just needed to stop the player from moving long enough for the pod door to shut, and after that, they can't get out even if they try, so that's good enough for me. :tup: