Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Re: Ambient Sound problem / bug in UED2.0 [SOLVED]

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Terraniux
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Ambient Sound problem / bug in UED2.0 [SOLVED]

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014, 22:37

I am currently building the temple for CM4. It is a separate .unr file from the CM4 file.

Apparently my sound in the editor, when moving freely in textured and dynamicly mode, stopped working. Since 2 days now. In a backup, when I didn't have ambient sounds yet, placed one and works.

When playing sounds and music in the browers, no problem. Starting the map, all works just fine.
But when enabling realtime play button, nothing happens. All in silence in the current build of 2 todays ago.

Here comes the big mystery:

When I start placing ambient sounds for the fires approx 3 days, I used: AmbAncient.aFire5. But even though it says fire, it is a looping stone sound. :/ So I changed all of them to .aFire2. Rebuilded and saved the map. Played it, still all is the .aFire5 :? Looked again in the editor, removed ALL ambientshound by simply deletion ( rightclick, select all Ambientshounds, deletbuttonl; all gone. Rebuilded, saved, played and still I hear a bugging a.Firesound. :? Dafuq?! :/ :?

I closed UnrealED, replaced UnrealEd.ini a clean copy, no effect but the bugging sound is gone ingame.
All is still deleted, rebuilded and saved. Place a brand new one, nada noppes nothing. In game it works.
Nothing is MyLeveled or saved externally. All cached stuff from editor and game is deleted.

Please help me out here, I absolutely can't afford to rebuild all these improved again due limited time this and next month.

Sherlock what is going on here?
Last edited by Terraniux on 08 Jul 2014, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Ambient Sound problem / bug in UED2.0

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 00:26

Oh this old crap. Well I'll tell you what I know of this bug, but the second issue you have is a bit more perplexing...

Terraniux wrote: I am currently building the temple for CM4. It is a separate .unr file from the CM4 file.

Apparently my sound in the editor, when moving freely in textured and dynamicly mode, stopped working. Since 2 days now. In a backup, when I didn't have ambient sounds yet, placed one and works.

When playing sounds and music in the browers, no problem. Starting the map, all works just fine.
But when enabling realtime play button, nothing happens. All in silence in the current build of 2 todays ago.

This one is as old as UED2. I never used Ed version 1 long enough to ever have it happen to me so I cannot say for sure if this is just a sound fluke with the editor in general that was never resolved. I've never been completely sure what triggers it. It's almost always a level I've been working on for a decent while and have a lot of ambient sound sources set. I also do a lot of pitch manipulation. Not sure how exactly it occurs but what will happen is that the realtime play trigger will go mute. Lighting and other aspects are unaffected, just sound. It's also important to note that it always occurs in levels where I have multiple zones with reverb active (echo effects) and seems to occur after I'm touring the level room by room.

I've always felt that there is a "audio limit" to Ed's realtime play capabilities that can glitch the player. Starting a new .unr during a new session usually seems to fix the issue, though sometimes it can stick. Otherwise, I've found that loading the level on a different computer can fix it, as the glitch doesn't carry over. Also, you can try the occasional reinstall. Usually does the trick. This is usually the same way I fix the window glitch in Ed 2 also.

Terraniux wrote:Here comes the big mystery:

When I start placing ambient sounds for the fires approx 3 days, I used: AmbAncient.aFire5. But even though it says fire, it is a looping stone sound. :/ So I changed all of them to .aFire2. Rebuilded and saved the map. Played it, still all is the .aFire5 :? Looked again in the editor, removed ALL ambientshound by simply deletion ( rightclick, select all Ambientshounds, deletbuttonl; all gone. Rebuilded, saved, played and still I hear a bugging a.Firesound. :? Dafuq?! :/ :?

I closed UnrealED, replaced UnrealEd.ini a clean copy, no effect but the bugging sound is gone ingame.
All is still deleted, rebuilded and saved. Place a brand new one, nada noppes nothing. In game it works.
Nothing is MyLeveled or saved externally. All cached stuff from editor and game is deleted.

Please help me out here, I absolutely can't afford to rebuild all these improved again due limited time this and next month.

Sherlock what is going on here?

Okay this is....a bit weirder, but not completely implausible if I assume a few things. For one thing you seem certain that this is somehow related to the previously mentioned realtime player glitch, but I am not so sure. It could be a coincidence.

Allow me to operate under the deduction that this is the case. It's possible that sometimes when we make levels we get into a rhythm. We're in the zone, adding and subtracting and filling property slots with information, getting our groove on...and we accidentally add a value somewhere it isn't intended to be and do not notice it has occurred. There was one time in early RD development when I had a heinous bug where a map kept crashing when I tried to play it, and Ed navigation was so unstable that it too would randomly crash when I messed with certain view settings to troubleshoot what was happening. 9 months went by and I more or less gave up on the level, as I had stupidly saved the issue in all my backups before conducting a test. I was about to write the level off as a loss when someone else discovered that I had unintentionally added a ridiculous radius to a trigger I had tied to a looping mover. It was meant to be large, yes, but in my haste I added too many zeroes and did not notice the range of the trigger exceeded the limitations of the playable game space. When UT tried to load the level, the parameter error crashed the map. When viewing the level with certain collision boxes set to visible, Ed crash. I would have never known where to look if not for the painstaking effort made by someone else to look at the properties of every actor I had added to the level. Kudos, UArchitect ;)

In less serious ways, sometimes you click the wrong thing and place an additive to wherever the brush currently is, resulting in hilarious floating boxes when you test the level and things like that. One time I accidentally added an ambient sound to an actor that wasn't meant to have one. The result was similar to what you are going through, where I was trying to track down this bizarre source of flowing water that wasn't attached to any of my ambient sounds or lights (I eventually discovered I had clicked on a decoration one night when highlighting an ambient sound (which I later changed) and did not realize I had applied the sound.

It happens. I think what you are describing fits the bill for a mistake. Maybe you added the stone loop somewhere it wasn't intended to go and that the Realtime player glitch just happened to occur at around the same time?

User avatar Terraniux
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Ambient Sound problem / bug in UED2.0

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 00:47

Thank you Mister Prophet your story. :wink: :tup:
I'll check all actors and their attached links. top, front and side will have an in-depth scan for floating date-expired applejuice. I must have been doing some clicking, and misclicking at the same time,
as in mapping with eyes closed, haha.

If anyone has more tips or suggestions, please share.

I'll look into it this week, me going sleep now. Raising at 8:00am for work.

Thanks again!

Regards Terraniux.

User avatar Terraniux
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Ambient Sound problem / bug in UED2.0 [SOLVED]

Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014, 21:16

I think I found and solved the problem.
Copied / pasted entire map into a clean one with zero ambient sounds. Rebuilded and saved.
Clicked the realtime button, and heared 'THE' annoying looping stone. Great it is working again. But wait. - no ambientsounds. Dafuq? Flying trough my map, and stopped at a mover in the water, reversed and went forward again. There it is. Checked the settings.

Never knew movers could work as ambient speakers too. :? :|

Instead of using only the moveambientsound, I also filled the normal ambient sound under sound settings under every mover that is made of stone. In the map this kept looping on forever and ever, was cached (read: installing error.exe into cm4temple.unr) into the map somehow, and keeps coming back depite the rebuilds you have done.

How this crap possibly could have happened:

With a problaby sleepy head (busy times, making long hours at work), I still holded ctrl while not aware of it and selected the movers and ambient sounds at the same time. Applied settings, saved and rebuild. Voila, error installed.

I'm speechless.

If doesn't come back this week, consider this topic as solved. Updated title in advance.

Regards Terraniux