Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

My 3d Model is reduced to crap... bug?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: My 3d Model is reduced to crap... bug?

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 02:54

:shake: Hey, just me again asking questions about content design. I came across this strange issue trying to import a WIP model to Unreal. And this is what I got...

My model is 464 Polys and Tris so it should be safe.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: My 3d Model is reduced to crap... bug?

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 03:10

You need to provide more details. How'd you import it? What format? What tools? Is it contained in a cube of 256³ units, which is the maximum size for an Unreal mesh?

The problem seems related to Level of Detail (LOD) troubles, so perhaps this site can help.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 03:46

Importing models into UE1 is very particular. Make sure the model exists within a 256*256*256 space in your modeling program (centered around the origin), and that it is scaled to be as large is it can be within that space. If you are using 3ds2unr, you can use the -s option to automatically scale the model. If you don't do this, your model may fail to import or be deformed.

The reason for this, iirc, is because UE1 stores mesh vertex data as bytes, with only 256 possible values. If your model has a lot of vertices in a small area, the model will end up deformed as 3ds2unr rather unceremoniously rounds vertex positions to the nearest possible value. afaik this is also why many of the unreal guns wobble around so much while animating (think of it like the vertices being snapped to a grid).

xRedStar

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 06:41

In 3ds Max I converted everything to the Unreal Unit System, and in the editor it shows up as the proper scale... however the polys are all missing. I also made sure the mesh was about 128x64x64 in UUS. So it should import fine, it could be the LOD Style yes. I am exporting using ActorX and I am exporting 0-1 frames of Vertex Animation. I also scripted the import myself and tried a few LOD Styles. But anyways if anyone has ever fiddled around with this before, I can throw up a quick upload if you want to give it a try.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 15:38

Looks like LOD problems to me, too.
Change actor's property (I guess you're using some decoration for testing) LODBias to some bigger (much bigger) value.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:17

omg you guys are great!!! :D
\o/

In case you guys are wondering what this weapon is... it is just going to shoot rockets. Except different from the Eightball, it fires single rockets... but refires faster and the rockets travel quicker. It is a bit like the Quake Rocket Launcher, but I am so pleased that it is working out good now. Big thanks to all of you, and if and when I do release the mod I'll include you guys support in the readme.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:27

Glad we could help. :) What was the fix? LODBias?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

xRedStar

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014, 21:26

MINVERT, STRENGTH, MORPH settings... some to do with the LOD. But mostly those three parameters... but hey it looks really good in Unreal. It is a bit of a amateur texture art, but I am pretty good at modelling clean looking objects for unreal.

xRedStar

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014, 01:04

Almost done with the texturing, some bad areas but it will be fixable. Going to add a grip on the handle so it isn't too plane looking. I'll probably keep modifying it over time, anyways thanks goes to everyone here for the support. I'll try and credit everyone that contributed...