Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

I am just totally confused, wtf is happening?!

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: I am just totally confused, wtf is happening?!

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:12

Some of you may remember the map I released under the name of Battle at Nyleve's Falls.
Btw. http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3425

And, some of you may know I used, use and will use Software Rendering.
I didn't test(and won't) my map on the other renders.
It looked like this:
As you can see, colors are bright, the night atmosphere is complete. (And not dark)
Yes, that's how it looked like on my PC, how I tested it etc.
Then, comments began rolling under the topic.
Like this one:
Downloaded this morning and played immediately. Unfortunately (for me) my expectations weren't met, possibly caused by my installation or settings (I don't know).
For one, I read it's supposed to be a night setting but on my system it was only slightly darker than normal (while other maps can be really dark).

Then, wtf.... what the hell is happening. I was wondering if yea....it could be his/her settings.

THEN.
THEN.

First of all Software rendering works fine for me. In other hand, I've got no choice.
Unreal keeps lagging like hell if i use D3D or OpenGL. (Still lags wit Softv.Ren.)
Some say my vga doesn't like it. My os is W7 64bit.

So, then.
I began working on something, I wanted to be...well..."decent".
Then, shit striked once more. Enviroment texture flag didn't work on my render, so I tried it on D3D, and OpenGL. The results shocked me.

Software render.

Then, I tried out OpenGL and D3D. (Just to check out the enviroment effect)
And see this shit. it looked even worse in some places. And lagged like hell.

It looks like shit. The whole map became bright, colors became washed out.

Then ,I asked myself. How can i be such a stupid shit, to release sth with the though of my head like (Ugh, my map looks god after all).
Then, after a few months, I see how it looked like on your machine guys.
I am such totally demoralized now. A shitload of maps are waiting for release. But, how could I do such a thing, when I know they suck MORE than I thought.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: I am just totally confused, wtf is happening?!

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:30

If your computer really can't handle anything above software rendering, it's time to buy a £100 maximum used PC that can.

Edit: If you're on a Laptop without a graphics card or something then getting an Unreal 1 handling one added probably doesn't cost much either. If you do have one you might just need to install new drivers for the card.
Formerly Mman

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:47

I play Rage without a single lag spike. I don't think that unreal needs more than 2gigs of Vram.

The last year with Software Renderer just totally made me forget about how ugly Opengl was.

Any suggestions?
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:55

Are using Unreal version 227? If not try installing the DX10 renderer here: http://www.kentie.net/

If you're on 227 you should already be using somewhat modern renderers...
Formerly Mman

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:56

I'll try. Thanks.
How do you manage to run the game like this?
Smooth like hell.
http://www.twitch.tv/shivaxi/b/467230086

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 13:32

I use D3D at my place of study because funnily enough it works smoothly compared to Software Rendering (but I had to resort to using Software Rendering on some maps because of mipmaps issues - it lags a bit but it's playable. I used software rendering for Battle at Nyleve's Falls). But I'll change my desktop computer over there soon enough...
Here at my parent's place I use DirectX 9 for both Unreal Gold with 227 and for UT - and it is totally smooth (Windows XP SP3, 2.5 GB of RAM, Sapphire ATI RADEON X800 XL).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 14:02

You probably do not have any drivers installed whatsoever. Go to your GPU manufacturer's website and download the drivers for your graphics card model. You can find out which one it is by using Speccy.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 14:18

If that was the case then RAGE shouldn't run well either.
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 18:16

Virtually any machine less than 10 years old should run Unreal in either OpenGL (preferred) or D3D. My PC is 5+ years old and has a crappy (nowadays) video card and runs it great using OpenGL renderers. I really can't think of a reason to use software rendering, especially if you are going to create maps for others to play - hardly anyone is going to play them in that mode, even if you tell them to in the readme. They'll likely go play something else before they switch to software rendering - at least I would.

As a side-note, I don't really see the need to use profanity every sentence. Maybe I'm in the minority here though.

Anyway, definitely get a cheap video card (although I'm guessing the one you have is probably fine) and download the latest drivers.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014, 18:40

I currently use OpenGL, but when I'm testing a map I have to consider that different people use different renderers. As a mapper, it's tedious work, but it's always good to get an idea of how your map looks from different perspectives. If you can't see these levels in the respective renderers because you can't run them effectively, that's when closed betas are useful.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 25 Jul 2014, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014, 19:04

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
I'll try.