Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Bigger Translator for Oldskool/UT mods?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Bigger Translator for Oldskool/UT mods?

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014, 02:48

My Brother started playing Unreal mods recently but a problem has shown up; the default Unreal translator text is way too small and makes it nigh-unreadable for him due to some sort of dyslexia issues, at least at 1920x1080.

For Unreal itself and mods that run on it this isn't a problem as 227 adds a function to scale the translator and font so it's much more readable for him (although I only realised after he finished), but mods like Deja Vu and Xidia are UT only (technically there's a 227 version of some but unless I missed something they seem unavailable due to drama bullshit, so that's out) yet there's no way to scale it there, which is a problem. ONP was an exception as the text was already big enough for him.

Would it be possible to throw together a quick mutator or something to override the mod default and make the translator and text bigger, or even just transplant the ONP translator to other mods? Something more configurable would be nice but at the moment I'm just looking for a quick hack so it's readable for him and he can continue mods like Deja Vu without missing all the messages.

Edit: Actually it seems Xidia uses the ONP style translator too, and 7 Bullets is presumably the same, so it's only "traditional" mods like Deja Vu that have this issue.

Edit 2: Actually I've found my own hack solution by starting an ONP map and then manually loading Deja Vu; that has some issues (like the upgraded DP being really overpowered), but it makes the big translator part of it. A proper solution would be nice though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Bigger Translator for Oldskool/UT mods?

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014, 01:17

I'll try to put ONP's translator into Oldskool's regular HUD. I'll bump my post once it's done.

Edit: Here it is. You just have to add the mutator from Oldskool's SP Mutators window. Tested in Deja Vu, Shrak, and Zephon.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nbt84ohw5egccx0/ONPTranslatorMut.zip

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014, 01:30

AlCapowned to the rescue! Very nice.

I'm way late to the party, but IIRC there was a standalone ONP gamemode/mutator which added the ONP HUD and changed other features to be ONP-like, but works with any default Oldskool mod. Unreal Enhanced or something. I can imagine that being useful for your brother, as ONP's HUD is comically huge, which might help with accessibility. (Also, ONP tech is best UT tech after EXU2, yo)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014, 02:35

Thanks! This seems to be exactly what I needed, and it does it without overwriting the default HUD either. I might even use it myself for playing old Unreal maps as while I don't have problems reading it overall the translator is definitely one of the interface parts that's aged the worst at modern resolutions.

I also looked into Unreal: Enhanced too (http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tourn ... ed-no-umod) and that seems interesting as well.
Formerly Mman