Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

How to Make Sleeping Krall in Alternate States

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: How to Make Sleeping Krall in Alternate States

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014, 22:17

Hey Folks!

So it's not often that your man Prophet runs into a mapping conundrum. I've tried searching for existing topics to come across this mentioned elsewhere, as to avoid making an unnecessary new thread. No luck!

So, Krall. I'm using them in some levels and everyone knows they have a Sleep state that can be set in properties so they are nodding off on guard duty. Though, most may not know that there are two other sleep animations that are unused in the main game. You can see them in the mesh browser. Now, I've done this before in the past and have seen others do it. But you can actually apply these animations to the Krall who are set to Sleep and see the alternate animations ingame.

But now I can't remember how to get them to work. I thought the original method was to set a normal Krall to bSleeping=True and then in Orders set the new sleep animation to the value. This should make it work...but it's not? They are kinda just frozen in place in what looks like a duck animation.

What am I doing wrong?

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: How to Make Sleeping Krall in Alternate States

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014, 22:56

It seems to be hardcoded into the Krall script.

UnrealI.Krall:

Code: Select all

function PlayWaiting() {
   //abridged

if (bSleeping) {
      animspeed = 0.5 + 0.5 * FRand();
      SetAlertness(-1.0);
      LoopAnim('Sleep1', AnimSpeed );
      PlaySound(sound'Snore1K',SLOT_Talk);
      return;
   }

//snip snip
}

If you have or are willing to create a custom Krall subclass, changing it should be quite easy.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014, 23:35

The Orders field just tells the pawn what state to go into when it starts. You'd need to do what ebd said and create a custom Krall subclass that alternates the anims or picks a random one when it sleeps, etc.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015, 04:56

Actually, no custom Krall is required. I did this in my map wtf2 from WTF Series 1, the krall sleeping at the top of the elevator lift. He's lying down on the floor, leaning against the wall. No custom content is required.

The way to do it is actually pretty simple. All you have to do is use patrol points. Have the Krall go to a patrol where you want him to do the sleep animation. Set the patrol point properties to numAnims 255, PatrolAnim Sleep3, PatrolSound Sound'UnrealI.Krall.snore1k' (optional =P ), and PauseTime 999999999 or some equally big infinite number lol. I made 2 patrol points and linked them to each other just in case the PauseTime managed to run out somehow, so he'd just stand up and sit right back down again since the 2 patrol points were right on top of each other.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.