Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Moron with uc/recompile stuff there

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Moron with uc/recompile stuff there

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014, 14:08

So I figured out I know 0% of this stuff or I've totally forgot how it works after 2 years if I did anything similar. Might as well ask people there or I'll never go beyond step zero.

EXU2 v6.00 got released and of course G59 doesn't work on it. G59's main system file is the primary culprit because, as I expected, it has subclasses of actors that do not exist anymore in EXU.u, so obviously my system file itself doesn't load at all.

I have to ways to fix this:
1. Start a new .u file from scratch. Not impossible but really time-consuming I guess.
2. What Waff suggested me is to recompile the G59 system file and getting rid of all the old dependencies, plus something about .uc files. I have no idea where to start with this or really understand what's this about so I'm assuming some person here may know something.

HELP.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Moron with uc/recompile stuff there

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014, 18:42

Do you still have all the source files that you made your .u with? If not there is a batchexport commandlet which can help you get them.

Among other things you will have a bunch of files with a .uc extension. These are unrealscript source files. If you open them in a text editor (ConTEXT and Gvim have pretty good unrealscript support and are both free) you can edit your source code, and use ucc.exe to compile them back to a .u file.

This is a far superior workflow to working in the editor because:
  • You can use whatever tools you please
  • You can use traditional source code control tools, like git or mercurial, making collaboration easier
  • You have greater control over every aspect of your package development.

As for textures and sounds and stuff, you can even import them with ucc as well.

From there you should be able to go through your source and refactor things, changing references of deprecated classes to new classes etc.

If you aren't comfortable working with a command line (like cmd.exe (ick), cygwin, or powershell) nowadays there are even GUI tools for using ucc.