This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Updated 14/7/15: UnrealScript Bible

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar LannFyre
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Updated 14/7/15: UnrealScript Bible

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015, 16:25

I am compiling .HTML saves and images that contain information on OOP and information on coding in UnrealScript for idiots like me. Right now I am simply gathering information that can put into a certain order, so that sections of UnrealScript can be studied in depth through links provided to the "bible". The sections are numbered in order. If anyone has any suggestions to add to the archive, feel free to post them.

I do not claim to have written any of the information that will be in the guide, it is only meant to be a "UnrealScript for Dummies" for anyone to study or use as reference. I know very little about UnrealScript, which is why I wish to make it open to devs so they can help add in additional information.

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zb4u8ti31432x3/1A%20-%20UNREALSCRIPT%20BIBLE.zip?dl=0

"UnrealScript Bible" Supplemental Guide:
>> http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3674&sid=fb430a479690343f94e4cabbf7f25f13

List of essential tools for Unreal/UT scripting/mapping:
http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=523&sid=fb430a479690343f94e4cabbf7f25f13

Uscript Tutorials & Resources / Tools:
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=4716

If I find any more master posts with relevant information, I will be sure to post them here and bump the topic. Occasionally I will bump this topic and change the header to reflect the date it has been updated (let me know if this starts to get annoying, I will try to only bump with relevant information).

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <

Topic discussion links:
UT99: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6204
oldUnreal: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426235653/0#0
Last edited by LannFyre on 20 Jul 2015, 09:11, edited 12 times in total.
way2goslugger

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Making UnrealScript Guide

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015, 16:50

Great initiative! This is the kind of documentation that might just get me interested in UnrealScript in the near future.

Obviously I'm not one who can help you proofread that stuff (I was only ever introduced to coding in general at Uni), but I might as well suggest that if you want to reach a maximum number of people with this, you could open a parallel thread over at Oldunreal Forums.

Excellent work so far, though! I like the fact that you really start from the beginning and it looks pretty thorough! :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar LannFyre

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015, 18:46

At some point, I do plan to include example scripts and even a level using said example scripts. If you wouldn't mind, could you shill my topic to any other boards you can think of (even if it's just a repost of the Dropbox)? I have actually posted this on UT99 but I'm very new to the community and even the to Unreal (started playing UT99). I have no clue what boards still exist and what boards are dead.
way2goslugger

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015, 22:29

LannFyre wrote:At some point, I do plan to include example scripts and even a level using said example scripts.

That would be awesome! together with the explanations in the guide itself, that would amount to a great pedagogical approach! (come to think of it, providing such examples would be kind of similar to the way the Firetrucks tutorial is carried out) :tup:

LannFyre wrote:If you wouldn't mind, could you shill my topic to any other boards you can think of (even if it's just a repost of the Dropbox)? I have actually posted this on UT99 but I'm very new to the community and even the to Unreal (started playing UT99). I have no clue what boards still exist and what boards are dead.

Well I wouldn't mind at all but to be honest I'm currently not a member of any other Unreal/UT related site, and as far as I know UT99.org, oldunreal.com and UnrealSP.org have the most active boards for these games. What I'd suggest (given that you've already posted this topic under the same nickname in UT99.org) is to register at Oldunreal Forums and post this topic there too (they have a UScript board). I do intend on registering a forum account over at oldunreal.com myself at some point...
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar LannFyre

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015, 09:41

Updated OP for a better description, also I have now posted this on oldUnreal.
way2goslugger

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015, 21:15

So, this is... an announcement of a tutorial? Or is there already something?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar LannFyre

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015, 04:45

It's less the announcement of a tutorial and more an announcement that an introductory guide/"UnrealScript for Dummies" is being written. It is also to post the materials I will be using to create such a guide. So. . . A general info dump until I have something that I completed I can post. The Dropbox link has a .rar that contains saved .html files from the UnrealWiki, plus cheat sheets and a technical knowledge referential guide.
way2goslugger

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015, 05:43

There is a lot of information out there on Unrealscript out there but it is somewhat disorganized.

Whether you are adding Unrealscript to your repertoire of programming languages or just starting to program, there is no magic bullet for understanding. Mastery comes only through practice.

User avatar LannFyre

Subject: Updated 14/7/15: UnrealScript Bible

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015, 08:49

EDIT:
Bumping the topic again, many new links have been added and I've somewhat organized the .rar a bit. Also I am including a link to a supplemental topic - a guide being compiled from the information available. Check the OP for more info on that.
way2goslugger