Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Static meshes and texture scaling

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Static meshes and texture scaling

Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015, 19:59

I noticed that when I make static meshes, the texture scaling is off. Here's an example of what I mean:

The one on the bottom is the original brush. The one on the top is the static mesh with the overscaled textures. Reading the oldunreal wiki, there isn't anything about texture scaling on the static meshes page.

My process for making static meshes is this:

Intersect brush -> add brush -> align to all around x axis/y axis/floor -> convert to static mesh -> place static mesh

It doesn't seem like I'm doing anything wrong, so why is this happening?

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Static meshes and texture scaling

Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015, 22:54

It doesn't really look like the scalling is off for my eyes. Maybe you miss the detail texture on the Static Mesh? Because that's the only difference I see. Apparently Static Meshes don't support Detail Textures like normal meshes, but I'm not sure...
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015, 00:06

Maybe I'm wrong, but presumably the bottom brush version has it's textures separately aligned on each side. Conversely, I think static meshes always stretch textures across their whole surface (and treat every side as a single surface) unless UV's are set up, so it makes sense that the mesh would have a bigger scale given that textures don't align 100% properly on cylinders without special scaling.
Formerly Mman

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015, 12:42

Remember that (in 227i):

The static mesh converter has some polycount reduction algorithm where vertices closer than 1 UU are collapsed into one. The workaround is to first scale brush by 10, then after conversion scale mesh by 0.1.

If odd number of Main/PostScale coordinates is negative, the mesh will have flipped normals.

Besides that, in rare cases surfaces treated with Polygons->Merge break when converting.

And static meshes do support detail textures. You just need to activate something in video renderer settings.
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015, 01:04

Thanks for the responses.

I don't see anything about static meshes when I go to my OpenGL settings in Advanced Options. What's the specific setting I have to change?

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015, 13:12

Set UseHardwareClipping to false.
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015, 14:46

Okay, thanks.