A random sentence for a random mind.

Static Mesh collision

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Static Mesh collision

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016, 23:19

I made some nonsolid sheet brushes into static meshes, but the player collides with them as if they were solid/thicker brushes (although projectiles pass through them). Since the brushes are just for waterfalls, I want the collision to be disabled entirely, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that; selecting the static mesh and setting all of its collision values to false helps, but the player and projectiles can still collide with the static mesh's origin, even after setting the collision height and radius to 0 (which is a problem, since if the player falls and hits it, they will die). I tried making collision models out of other sheets to see if that would somehow help, but I get the same result.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Static Mesh collision

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016, 00:48

Not sure how to fix that since I haven't messed with 227, but if the only problem is the origin, you could probably use a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally oblong brush to intersect the sheet and, as a result, have the origin exist outside the world.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016, 19:00

Huh, I never thought about doing that. It sounds like it could work.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016, 07:37

Total longshot, did you try setting bWorldGeometry to false in collision?

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016, 19:35

Buff Skeleton wrote:Not sure how to fix that since I haven't messed with 227, but if the only problem is the origin, you could probably use a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally oblong brush to intersect the sheet and, as a result, have the origin exist outside the world.

It seems like the collision problem happens in the center of the "mesh" part of the static mesh regardless of where the origin is; intersecting didn't work. :/

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:Total longshot, did you try setting bWorldGeometry to false in collision?

Yeah, I set all the collision settings to false.

I might have to go with emitters or something, but that's going to hurt performance. If TexPanners worked with panels (which they don't seem to, at least not in the editor) I would just use a punch of panels and rotate them.

Edit: It seems like taking a panel and giving it the mesh of the static mesh works - no collision problems there. Also, the newer water static meshes I made don't have this problem for some reason; maybe it was an issue with the original brush.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016, 08:57

Yeah, when you "add static mesh" it creates it as a StaticMesh class, which has some native funkery behind the scenes that I don't have the code to. Probably something in there did something special, I assume.. but it is odd that your other two worked fine. The dying thing seemed to act like a BSP hole or actually entering an invalid location, so maybe the brush was bad. Who knows!

In any case, glad it worked out.