UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Skybox static meshes

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Skybox static meshes

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016, 23:07

I've got another question about static meshes.

When I look up at certain points, the static meshes in the skybox no longer render - they practically disappear until I turn my camera somewhere else. From what I recall of Turboman's old 227 example map (and I can't find it on my computer anymore, either :/ ), this never happened with his skybox static meshes; what makes his so different from mine? I've set things like bAlwaysRelevant, bAlwaysRender, and bNoDelete to true in the hopes that they would do something, but nothing I've done has worked so far. Is there a way to prevent this problem from happening?

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject: Re: Skybox static meshes

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016, 18:37

If you're not in 227, I believe meshes in the engine stop rendering when their invisible origin point is not framed within the camera's view. Big meshes in general have the most amount of issues with this. 227 changed this, or at least added this as an optimization option for clients and left it on by default.

If you are using 227, then I do know I've had issues with where my meshs' origin points are for the total mesh, requiring that I adjust them in an external tool, but I've seen nothing like what you describe when using 227.

I do recall a mod or campaign somewhere (not USP reviewed) that somehow managed to get around this, either by proactively moving the origin point and offsetting the actor the mesh was applied to in realtime to keep it in view, or some other way. I just can't remember what it was.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016, 04:04

+1 for origin outside of world issue

I can find a copy of 227 tech temple(does not load in 227i) but not the map that turbo semi-recently submitted for a mapping contest here that probably used static meshes a lot. That said, Jet is on the right track. Mesh culling is sorta buggy in 227i (try 227j, the mesh visibility was completely rewritten and this issue should be gone; I can probably hook you up with dev builds if you want). If the mesh origin is out of world there can be visibility issues or if the origin is not visible. You can use prepivot to try to mitigate this issue.

edit: I don't know of any particular "Always render me" flag, but I'll ask smirf.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016, 22:19

Thanks for the replies.

I think that thing you were talking about, Jet, is something of Daewon's from Unreal PSX. I'll have to look into that.