Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Sound effects?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Sound effects?

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 20:47

Anyone know what they used to create the sounds used in U1?

I often notice that many games re-use sounds that might be coming from paid or freeware sound packages, but U1 is one of those games that doesn't seem to have any re-used sounds (AFAIK), except maybe, the sounds for some of the 'bird' noises (a couple of which sound like modified buzzard and blue jay calls) and some of the 'swamp frog' loops.

The creature/monster sounds especially are really unique, I'd love to know how they did those.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Sound effects?

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 21:49

A lot of the Unreal sounds aren't original. Skaarj ones for example are what... camel sounds?
ImageImage

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 23:04

UBerserker wrote:A lot of the Unreal sounds aren't original. Skaarj ones for example are what... camel sounds?

Are they? I've never heard anything like 'em, sounds like somebody was grunting into the mic and modified it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 23:10

I heard their "syllable" sounds on TV during something showing camels. Also heard the same sounds in other games.

EDIT: Abe's Oddworld has also Skaarj syllable sounds (for the rideable camel thing).
Last edited by UB_ on 04 Apr 2016, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Preki

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 23:14

UBerserker wrote:camel sounds?

Yeah, camel sounds were used for Nali Cows. Some even say it was done on purpose as a reference to Doom, which used the very same sound (DeathC2c) for dying zombiemen. However Yappie could be right since Unreal is the only game so far where I heard Skaarj grunting or Krall mumbling, so these were probably recorded by guys at Epic.

The 'mlift7' sounds from DoorsMod package were used in Duke Nukem 3D, few years before Unreal. And I wonder what's the actual source for 'beam02' sound (the one played when Skaarj Generator disintegrates), which I heard in numerous games from 1990s, eg. StarCraft.

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:12

Ohh yeah, the Nali cows, those do sound like camels, I forgot about those.

Still never heard anything that sounds exactly like Nali rabbits, or slith, or all the weird noises the Skaarj queen makes, or titans, or krall.. the Mercenaries totally sound like something custom recorded.

I've heard sounds that are close, like some of the noises the Zerg queens in the first StarCraft sound like some of the noises the Skaarj queen makes, but still not exact.

Could be they used the same base sounds but had different results, don't really know. How are they making/editing these in the first place?

jammer64
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 01:26

Believe me, sound designers of Doom, Quake, Unreal didn't have that much of work to do ;) They basically cut out material from professional sound archives like:

- Sound Ideas 6000
- Sound Ideas 8000 (Unreal 2)
- Lucasfilm Sound Effects Library

They didn't even bother to choose nicest variant possible or mix/layer sounds in any way - just taking first sample almost all the time :P BTW, Skaarj is obviously lion/tiger, slith is donkey, pupae are as far as I remember some lizard or sth. Almost all enemy voices are animal recordings from the packs above. Nali were probably custom recorded voices.

There are much, much more libs around at the moment and sound production is way more elaborate and careful, often with custom foley effects, but in 90s those packs were the basics. BTW, those are not cheap ;)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 10:49

Skaarj are apparently camels.
ImageImage