This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Player tracking HUD icon/outline for coop?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Player tracking HUD icon/outline for coop?

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016, 02:05

Does this exist? I'm looking for something that shows player positions for when they aren't in plain sight. Something like L4D style outlines would be the nicest looking but I don't think that's possible in ue1. Next up would be an icon HUD element, which I believe is possible but the earliest demonstrable use is in ut2kx (objective markers). I think it would be a good QoL boost for coop if you could see where other players are /what they might be doing from your position. I'm thinking about running some coop in the next few weeks. There might be a few first-timers and something like this could help them out.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Player tracking HUD icon/outline for coop?

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016, 07:28

this thing your looking for in the most basic form is called "team beacon"

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016, 09:10

Moving this to CC instead of creating a new topic.
I made a thing.

Looks great (as host) but having some trouble with client replication. If a player is obstructed longer than a few seconds the beacon disappears until they are back in sight.
-
Update:
So, considering its all appropriately simuated given the HUD is clientside, I'm leaning towards it not working well for clients as having something to do with servers not replicating client locations to each other unless they're LoS. Especially considering how much sense it makes to do so. I might abandon this since it could end up being impractical but at the risk of saturating net, any exampless of how to get client positions in a nm_dedicated game?

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016, 17:38

Sort of but not the replication issue I was expecting. Looks like actor culling. Which means the hud is working as intended, just the actor it's supposed to display on is being culled.

May not have been wise in 98' but unless it's running on a toaster I don't think preventing culling of a pawn is going to cause any noticeable performance issue. Any suggestions where to start?
-
update:
So I stopped culling by setting playerpawn to balwaysrelevant via modifyplayer. Works perfectly in listen for host and client now. No change for clients on dedi so it's probably just my netmode rules.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016, 05:27

If I wasn't so out of practice I would have remembered to never test anything on Vortex2 because of the playerpawn fudging gametype. Everything works as it should. I didn't plan on this becoming a project but here we are. After I run it though a few matches I'll post a release.