Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[U227] Skeletal mesh: Bonegroups

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject: [U227] Skeletal mesh: Bonegroups

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016, 23:35

Heya,

I've asked a similar question on a few other sites such as ut99.org and oldunreal.com, but incase somebody could shed more light on the subject i've decided to ask here aswel.

From what I gather with my weary code/scripting knowledge (of substansial woe), skeletal meshes are imported via the UCC.exe. A friend of mine I am working on unmentioned project with, who is experienced with the avenue of coding is trying to import a skeletal mesh with animations that I have made in blender, into Unreal 227. He's mostly been successful, only with the problem that areas of the model which are assigned to something other than the 'body' bonegroup are being warped to the origin of the model, and currently he isn't sure how bonegroups are handled during the importing process.

Is there anything he must add to the following code ... -

//=============================================================================

// *snip*

//=============================================================================

class *snip* extends Info;

#exec ANIM IMPORT ANIM=*snip* ANIMFILE=Models\*snip*.psa COMPRESS=1 IMPORTSEQS=0

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=CombatStrike01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=96 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=CombatStrike02 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=105 RATE=5 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=CombatStrike03 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=78 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=CombatStrike04 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=60 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=CombatStrike04 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=60 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=DefaultCombat01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=1 RATE=1 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=DefaultRest STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=1 RATE=1 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=Idle01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=250 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=Idle02 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=250 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=Idle03 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=250 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=Idle04 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=250 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=Idle05 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=422 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=LookRight01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=422 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=MoveCmbtWlk01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=38 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=MoveCombatStarFrwd STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=81 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=MoveShoot01 STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=160 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM SEQUENCE ANIM=*snip* SEQ=MoveShoot01Begin STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=120 RATE=15 GROUP=Default

#exec ANIM DIGEST ANIM=*snip* VERBOSE

#exec MESH MODELIMPORT MESH=*snip* MODELFILE=Models\*snip*.psk LODSTYLE=8

#exec MESH ORIGIN MESH=*snip* X=0 Y=0 Z=0 YAW=0

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=*snip*Skin00 FILE=Images\*snip*.dds GROUP=Skins MIPS=OFF FLAGS=1 LODSET=2

#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=*snip* NUM=1 TEXTURE=*snip*Skin00

#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=*snip* X=1 Y=1 Z=1

#exec MESH DEFAULTANIM MESH=*snip* ANIM=*snip*

... to assign bonegroups?

Certain filenames in the code above were filtered out with *snip*, if anyone was wondering if that was part of the code or the actual name of something.

I hope there's somebody who is able to shed light on this subject.

Thanks in advanced.
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject: Re: [U227] Skeletal mesh: Bonegroups

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016, 00:42

Turns out the bonegroups had nothing to do with it, we eventually fixed the problem.

Basically, skeletal meshes in Unreal (I'm not sure if UT counts for this too) can't have vertex weights with analogue values, and multiple bones cannot share a same vertex; weight painted vertexes must be fully attributed to atleast one bone (bones can exist without vertexes assigned to it), and bones may not be attributed to a vertex which is only 'partially' weighted.

Atleast, this is what occurred with Blender, maybe the other 3d modelling tools have some easy way around this problem.

So, the problem has been solved.
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: [U227] Skeletal mesh: Bonegroups

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 14:25

Never had such a problem with 3D Studio Max. Had to make the vertex rigid but 2 bone weightening worked perfectly.