Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

COOP - Music events?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 813
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018, 15:36

Hey all,

So since the collaborative UED Game of Telephone 2015 (lol, WIP name) map is going to be coop compatible and it's the first time I have to pay attention to such compatibility, I'd like to know what happens with music events? Say one wonders off to a secret area, and there is a music trigger there, I suppose it can be made to play to the concerned player only yes? Also, it seems odd that a boss battle track would play while someone is still running through the map trying to catch up after dying or something.

Forgive my ignorance, I have never played coop :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4132
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018, 22:49

Music events affect all players from what I remember. RMusicPlayer has the ability to turn off bBroadcastToAll which might work for specific-player-only music, but otherwise it's just a normal part of the game to have the music change when someone else gets to X before you do.
Image

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 813
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018, 11:04

Buff Skeleton wrote:Music events affect all players from what I remember. RMusicPlayer has the ability to turn off bBroadcastToAll which might work for specific-player-only music, but otherwise it's just a normal part of the game to have the music change when someone else gets to X before you do.


Thanks for the reply Waff! :tup: OK I'll be testing this with RMusicPlayer, in case it helps..
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7874
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018, 11:50

The trigger to the rmusic needs to be also constantly triggerable. I'm not sure how is that doable because it would mean people constantly passing through a trigger and their music would be reset, which would be bad - meaning those areas can't be visited more than once. I have set everything to broadcasttoall, music just doesn't matter online.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 813
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:29

UBerserker wrote:The trigger to the rmusic needs to be also constantly triggerable. I'm not sure how is that doable because it would mean people constantly passing through a trigger and their music would be reset, which would be bad - meaning those areas can't be visited more than once. I have set everything to broadcasttoall, music just doesn't matter online.


Point taken - to be clear, while I did think about this before, the question came to the fore when I started setting up a very specific off-the-beaten-track sequence, which would likely escape the issues you mention: without being too specific, I made a secret area where a short track starts playing, and stops playing immediately when the player leaves. Before and after the window of opportunity for accessing the secret area, not a single track plays - at least in SP. In coop, it would potentially be possible for someone to access the secret area while others have already triggered this or that music piece in other areas of the map - but then the possibility to make that particular player switch to a different track makes sense, a track which would stop as soon as he/she leaves the secret area, no one else would be affected (and the way this is set up, the secret track can't be reset without stopping - in other words exiting the area - first); it is still possible for the secret track to be interrupted by other players triggering another "bBroadcastToAll" track while the player is still in the secret area, but oh well I can live with that remote possibility.

Cheers :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 314
Joined: 05 Apr 2008, 15:38
Contact:

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018, 15:24

Do you think this could be solved with an Ambient Sound as the overall music should be silent anyways? Since this is a loop, I guess the sample is short enough, so MyLeveling a wav doesnt seem to be too much of a hassle.
The Unforchers will come again soon...

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 813
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: COOP - Music events?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:04

editor Dave wrote:Do you think this could be solved with an Ambient Sound as the overall music should be silent anyways? Since this is a loop, I guess the sample is short enough, so MyLeveling a wav doesnt seem to be too much of a hassle.


Hey Dave, yeah I guess that would be alright too BUT seeing as this is already in .umx format thanks to someone who will be credited in the readme (it was rebuilt in a tracker) and weighs like nothing, I think I still want to use that :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests