Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Skins (UT)...

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Skins (UT)...

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 14:13

... i know... problably answered already somewhere, but anyway:

1. Can i grab a skin of a monster and repaint it, and save it in MyLevel, and apply it to a creature for that level, and it will work? Can i then copy paste that creature around the map?

2. Can i edit monster properties like name and projectiles (i think i can) AND copy paste it around map, no need to create sub classes or anything? (because... i don't know how to..)

3. Can i do the same for point 1., but for weapons (either SP and MP), like modifying the skin/properties/projectiles for a map AND it will respawn with those new characteristics always?

4. ...where can i find the monster and weapon skins used by UT, so that i could eventually change new ones?
...'sharp dressed man'...

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 14:18

1. 2. yes

3. Depends on the weapon really. Some weapons (like the Eightball, as far as I remember) don't use the "ProjectileClass" property and define the projectile in their script instead. You'll have to try.

1.2.3. You'd still be best off making a subclass of the actor in question and saving it in MyLevel - will save you some time. Also you can edit the classes' script that way.

4. Unreali and UnrealShare contain Unreal monster and weapon skins, Botpack contains all things UT.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Nahand

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 14:43

... thanks! :D ...

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 15:36

3. Not for weapons. It's all because the way Inventory work in Unreal Engine (at least in 1.x). When you pick up inventory (weapon/item) you will never have pickup you placed on map, because engine spawns it's copy and give it to the player and it can only have default properties. Inventory you've touched is still there, but it's invisible and untouchable. Then depends you're in SP or MP inventory appear again or is destroyed.

As sana said. It's best to create subclass. In order to do this:

* Open Actor Classes
* Select class you want to modify
* Click RMB and select New
* In package write MyLevel to have script embedded in map
* Be aware that name have to be unique (UED acts funny if you have few identical class names :)).
* Click OK :)
* Script editor will appear so just select tools->Compile Changed.
* In Actor Classes go to class you've modified, you'll your subclass.
* Click RMB and chose default properties, modify everything you want
* Save script (just click save :P)
* Place it in map, or changes will be lost

That's all.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Nahand

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 15:55

... hmm, it doesn't seem that far fetched hard to do, according to your detailed explanation. I'll try it out... make some experiments... as long as it doesn't fumble with my normal UT and so, all i want (for now) is to create this map-specific moddifications, and as long as they stay ONLY with such map (independently from the normal UT class thing) i guess i'm satisfied :D ... it'll stay in MyLevel as you indicate? :) And assuming so, it will be available to me to edit/use when i open the map in the editor, right? Thanks for info :) ...

EDIT: oh, and that is for new weapon properties, right? If i want to add a new/modified skin to go? (keeping it with the Mylevel thing)

And, assuming from your explanation, is it possible to open a [whatever] .u file with weapons and do the same process to embbed a weapon in a map? Hypothetically speaking, if i wanted to use the Bastard Sword from ChaosUT, or a RtNP Grenade Launcher (permissions aside)? Wouldn't i have to save the skin textures to MyLevel aswell, or do they go auto?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 16:00

MyLevel objects will automatically disappear if they aren't used in the map.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Nahand

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 16:02

... i'm somewhat familiar with such concept, at least related to the use of textures in MyLevel, thanks :) ...

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 16:54

Not always that easy :). Sometimes pickups has different meshmap then first/third person meshes (eg. Redeemer), so most suitable way is to extract mesh and re-import it again. Many weapons uses projectiles so to change damage you have to also change projectile and then assign new projectile to weapon, but instant hit weapons should work without any problems. Changing pawn skin is as easy as assign new skin to it (and maybe make a subclass for it so it can be used easier).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008, 13:28

In case no one have Said anything by creating a Subclass it will use all the script from the main class so you can just copy paste script for Example the Eightball which need a script to fire Custom Projectiles. I won't explain how to do it here unless you want me too, I'm sure the other people around here are a lot more better than me who can only edit script and they can make a new pawn/weapon/item by writing the whole code or something.

Oh, and Unless you save anything you make in any Default UT packages it won't damage your UT