Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

"3D" buildings

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: "3D" buildings

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 02:34

I was screwing around in UnrealED a little, and it made me think about something that I've always wondered about but been too dumb to ask. For lack of a better term, by "3D" buildings I mean ones with a fully realised exterior and interior, and, as a result, they also generally come with interaction with nearby terrain (or other environments) as well.

The thing I've wondered is whether there's any particular order the "masters" build these kind of structures in; do you do the exterior first, or the interior? Messing around interiors first seems to work better for me as it lets me be more adventurous without an outside structure to hold back design, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of consensus on it (with good reasons why), or whether it's entirely situational and/or personal.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 09:18

Working at such a building ATM I am thinking that a good way to create such a building is to create BOTH interior and exterior simultaneously. I mean that you can create WALLS which create floorplans floor by floor.
And I can recommend you to read a Hourences making-of tutorial for his GOW map TheSpire :tup:.

EDIT: http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsspire.htm
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 12:06

I'd start on the interior first as well. I hate having to build my rooms within the confines of the exterior shell. Once the inside is done the exterior will form itself around it. Usually though it just boils down to making rooms inside and then adding a small wall with a door in it in a rock facade.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 14:05

diamond wrote:I mean that you can create WALLS which create floorplans floor by floor.

I thought about that but decided it was probably bad for the BSP, considering it's transplanting the "Half-Life" style of level designing to Unreal (although I guess it's pretty much necessary on particularily open structures). Of course, I'm probably wrong...

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 14:18

You might want to carve out the interior as usual, then add the exterior and after you've done with both, set the interior brushes to "last order" so they carve out the exterior building brushes.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 16:41

The way that I would do it:

Steps:
1) Sketch the interior in paper (plant);
2) Make a good 2nd plant with Unreal dimensions and stuff;
3) Plan the exterior (in paper if needed);
4) Now time to actually build it: Ued, build the exterior first, then the interior following all the plants you made

Advantages:
- Organized, simple, effective and easier to build
- Helps to organize outside space for terrain and other stuff
- Helps a lot in BSP planning for less BSP errors

Disadvantages:
- Maybe a little more time to finish

P.S.: Maybe I'm wrong, after all I only script and map for only 6 months, LOL.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 01:43

Well, method used seems to be about 50-50 right now, suggesting it's based on preferences, but I'd rather have a few more views as well.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 11:34

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.