ividyon will never get this done, will he.

List of essential tools for Unreal/UT scripting/mapping

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: UModel

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010, 21:06

I've found a very, very interesting tool for you animators, mappers, converters and such.
It's called UModel

Code: Select all

Capabilities
Loading packages from some Unreal Engine based games
Visualization of skeletal and vertex meshes with animation support
Visualization of static meshes
Viewing supported material types
Export of skeletal animations and meshes into ActorX format (.psk and .psa) or idSoftware md5
Export of vertex meshes into Unreal .3D format
Export of static meshes into psk format (for details look at readme)
Export textures into tga format
List of packaged objects (.u, .uax, .ukx, .utx, .upk etc).

Supported titles:
Unreal Engine 1:
Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament 1
The Wheel of Time
Modified Unreal Engine 1:
DeusEx
Rune
Unreal Engine 2:
Unreal Tournament 2003/2004
Postal 2
Modified Unreal Engine 2:
Splinter Cell 1,2
Rainbow 6: Raven Shield
Lineage 2 Gracia
Land of Chaos Online
Battle Territory Online
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Unreal Championship
Unreal Engine 2.5:
UE2Runtime
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Modified Unreal Engine 2.5:
Tribes: Vengeance
Bioshock, Bioshock 2
Exteel
Unreal Engine 2X:
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Unreal Engine 3:
Unreal Tournament 3
Gears of War
Gears of War 2 (XBox 360)
Unreal Development Kit (UDK)
Mortal Online
Section 8
Modified Unreal Engine 3:
Rainbow 6: Vegas 2
The Last Remnant
Damnation
Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2
BlackSite: Area 51
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (XBox360)
TNA iMPACT!
Stranglehold
Army of Two (XBox360)
Huxley
AVA Online
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Mirror's Edge
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Magna Carta 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Crime Craft
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (XBox360)
Borderlands
Legendary: Pandora's Box
Dark Void
TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea
Alpha Protocol
All Points Bulletin
Transformers: War for Cybertron

It's just... essential for everyone who wants to break the law and use someones work in their own mods. Ha!! Naah, just kidding.
Thanks to this, you can easily export all data from every package Unreal Engine knows.

Kind of, fun.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: UModel

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010, 21:46

It's very nice to have for skeletal meshes. I wish it could export into .3ds files, because there's no way that I know of to edit the _A.3d/_D.3d files.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: List of essential tools for Unreal/UT scripting/mapping

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 03:42

Merged Qtit's thread into the giant big sticky for tools. ;)
Nice find, but it's already in the list. :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010, 22:56

I found another site here:
http://www.odedge.com/html/resources.htm
where most files are still available.
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010, 04:09

i may have a tool in the works to aid unrealscript developers, its not really "my" tool, its a version of programmers notepad 2 which has been configured and tweaked towards being a feature-full unrealscript editor

features some pretty baws syntax highlighting, integrated ucc compiler and output which allows you to compile, view, and jump directly to errors without leaving the editor
a growing library of useful code snippets
some other stuff i cant remember
Last edited by UArchitect on 17 Oct 2010, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010, 04:35

Does it have the smart shit where you type in something like console. and it give you a list of possibilities based off of the actor class tree formed in the source code or some shit my dad says is super important for a lot of n00b coders and even experienced coders for some situations?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010, 05:28

it has autocomplete which applies to code syntax but nothing like intellisense which you describe
it might be possible though, ill be looking into it

heading back to the land of no internet today, so heres the unfinished testing version for anyone who may be interested
download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/84a1p3iibrjspyv/upn2_1d.rar

screenshot of some syntax highlighting:

portable and doesnt require installation, run from anywhere including a flash drive
can be configured as your default text editor just like any other
comes with no guarantees, its a beta version of programmers notepad and ive just configured it how i like for unrealscript editing
escape closes the program
ctrl+m with an unrealscript source file open will start the compiler
make sure ued/ut is closed when compiling otherwise ucc will complain about file locks as usual

some time in the future i hope to add support for ravens unrealcript preprocessor

feel free to post bugs or whatever but i wont see them for a few weeks or a month maybe

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010, 17:14

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but does anyone have any links to texalign 2 aside from filefront? The one in the list isn't working, and Atomicgamer doesn't have it. It's not on OU either.

Edit: Actually, I had it on my old computer, and it's in the OU tutorial section. Doh. :B

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011, 17:02

http://www.mediafire.com/?c431q9pu2ali7o9

Here is version 2.6 of UTPT. It only has a small change or two (meant for Lineage), but it was able to view textures from a package that 2.5 couldn't.

ActorX for 3ds Max 2012: http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=1221.0

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012, 21:30

People have asked me how I make my terrains, and I'll try and explain here....

(btw this is what I use terraedit for)

Terra edit can import 256 color (gray scale) bmp files.
So you could surf the web and get some overview topological picture and use a paint program to convert it to 8-bit 256 color. I always resize it too so that it is 256 for smaller usages or 384 for medium or 512 for large terrains.
In terraedit import the bmp and set the grid scale and grid size to what looks the best (it will complain if you go over 32x32 but most of the time it is still ok to do it)
Then export.
In Ued do brush import, select it, and wait for it to change the builder square (sometimes it takes a while)

This sometimes will not work so you have to tweek the brightness/contrast of the bmp so it does work.

The "middle" vertex will actually become the top left corner (in top view) thats ok.

Make a room first that is very big and subtract just the cube move the red builder brush so the middle point is at the top left corner of the subtracted brush (or even better make the subtract just a few units larger <1026x1026x514>)
Then import your terrain in t3d format (moving the middle point in position first makes it easier to just add the brush and not worry about moving it after import)
When you import then add it (it will take a LONG time usually).

Sometimes with very complex terrains as you zoom in part of disappears (that's why it is better to already have it positioned)

<<and definately because this is tricky...save first...then ALWAYS close the 3d preview before building all or it might crash Ued to the desktop>>

It is a strange and complicated process sometimes but the terrains look realistic without having to vertex edit (and risk Ued vertex edit crashes). Because you can paint what you want or download a photo of what you want and import it as a terrain.

<now the complicated bit that I use>

fire up terragen or bryce and paint/sculpt/modify some terrain and do an alt-prtscr (hold down alt key and push the key labeled printscreen/SysRq) this will "copy" a snapshot of your screen with the grayscale terrain in the view.
(for terragen do the terrain sculpt tool and make your terrain then screenshot)
(for bryce go into the terrain edit <click on new terrain highlight it and click E > sculpt manipulate and screenshot)

open a paint/photoshop program (even microsoft paint) and ctrl-v (paste) or edit-->paste
Then use the selection tools to get a square around just the terrain part of your screenshot.
copy and paste that selection to new file and make sure you resize to multiples of 16 256/512/etc convert the file to 8-bit 256 colors (yes even though it is already grayscale you need to convert)

then import to terraedit and export and then import into Ued as a brush and add to an already subtracted room. ( I always leave at least 1 unit around the added brush just because these terrains tend to have complicated polys and I want to minimize bsp errors)

Also you can render the original image and selectiontool the actual texture you had in bryce/terragen and import as the texture to the mylevel package for your terrain.

In almost all of my maps I have done this
(mainly because I did not know how to use the terrain brush in UT's Ued, and also could not figure out how to vertex edit but I wanted some sort of outside mountainy area)

They are all BT maps (for UT99) but if you want an example...
http://www.map-factory.org/author/ozma777-1743
(postmodern coastal-temple meganoob core-888)

this process should work with Unreal as well although UT can deal with massive terrains like the one on postmodern.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012, 22:53

UArchitect wrote:heading back to the land of no internet today, so heres the unfinished testing version for anyone who may be interested

Iloveyou.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 13:36

I've found something rather unusual but might be of a use for anyone who wants to play with vertex animations in 3D Studio Max.

http://andye.myweb.hinet.net/maxscript_1.html

First one from the top, OBJ Sequence Importer.
How to use it?
*Put the file in "Scripts\Startup" , then restart 3DS MAX
*It is in [Create>Geometry>Scripted Primitives].
*Increase MAXScript Memory in [Preference Setting>MAXScript], when processing a HI-res OBJ.

Edith: Another tool for 3D Studio Max users:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip ... udio-biped

Quite self explanatory.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 20:20

OBJ sequence importer? Curious... does this potentially mean that one could finally reverse-engineer Unreal models, changing/adding minor bits without losing animations...?
That's assuming the importer turns each of the sequential meshes into a single mesh with animations... that would be an amazing discovery! I'd love to add shoulder pads and big huge armor to Krall and Skaarj etc.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 21:29

In short:

sana wrote:does this potentially mean that one could finally reverse-engineer Unreal models, changing/adding minor bits without losing animations...?

This words is crucial. The answear is - yes.

In other words...

You CAN do that with mixture of this particular thing and Morpher modifier inside 3D Studio.

What THIS tool does is it imports sequence (files Automag00.obj - first frame - to Automag45.obj - last frame) into Max as a CACHED animated mesh. If you turn it into Editable Mesh/Poly/whatever, you loose the animation. But you can just make snapshots of frames, set the targets in the Morpher modifier of the first frame and VUALA! Yes, you can sort of reverse engineer the old Unreal meshes but it needs a bit of thinkature here. Already tested it and it works fine.

I think it is possible to even attach elements on the cached objects the importer creates and then just export them to unreal vertex animation files. But I am not sure, gonna check that out in a minute.

NO! Wait... You can edit the cache object as a simple animated mesh. Brilliant!

This took me 2 minutes. Then 10 minutes to set the scene render, 10 seconds to render and 5 minutes to find a proper GIF animator...

Basically it's really simple and you can add - remove anything you want from a model.

NOTE: The new vertices you need to 'copy' from the old ones to have the animation. I extruded and beveled the new faces thus I have shoulder pads sticked and animated as the shoulders would have been if I had left them as they were...

Yep, pretty useful tool. And if you're good enough you can do EVERYTHING with these models.

Edith:
After further testing - it's advisable to use morpher as a editable object and the cache object (importer) as a reference for the frames. Strange artifacts might happen when cache object is edited too much.

Edith2:

You can always try to add more objects, fake bones on the cache mesh -> in Motion tab use Attachment position for dummies and then add anything you want - armors, shoulder pads, teeth, guns, tentacles - anything that comes to your mind. If you set the dummies right you can use them as bones in Skin modifier and make armor fit the cache object quite well.

Everything I said here has been checked already. I can make a tutorial on how to use this thing on any Unreal mesh - or prepare some meshes for you if it's just little change like these shoulder pads on kraal - it really takes few minutes. But export it and play with things in Unreal is your job. I just make models.

Edith3:
I have no idea how ActorX will export cache object... Will check that tomorrow.

Important:
During Vertex Animation export through ActorX I encountered crappy errors and glitches. Some meshes just caused critical errors when viewed in Unreal/Unreal Editor, some were screwed really really bad. And some didn't import at all.
Gonna look into it in the next few days.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 00:56

So

Can you map a skeleton to these animations?

Previous Next