A random sentence for a random mind.

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion threa

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011, 20:27

Waffnuffly wrote:Welp, looks like I have no choice but to withdraw from the contest. Real life obligations cutting into available free time. See here for details:

viewtopic.php?p=39849#p39849

Pity, I was really hoping for a sequel (or non-sequel) to TLF.
But, no blame, life has its priorities (and mine currently isn't Unreal-related either).
Anyway, hope you still find the time to remain part of the U world (I read you other post and feel confident you will leave another footprint ot 2. :wink: )

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011, 21:03

I'm gonna be around as usual, except I'll only be working on EXU, and I'll be working harder than before. Really, most people probably won't notice anything.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011, 11:56

More than a month of silence?
Just reviving this topic so that potential participants can plan way ahead and meet the ultimatum :wink: Have all details been cleared yet? (I can't find dates for the start nor the finish). I know you guys have to do all the work, but try to step into my shoes .. I have to plan properly to be able to play everything in time, I mean I really have to reschedule just about everything, sanitary stops, intake of nutrition, sleeping, might as well even plan sex way ahead - this implies some serious negotiation and I like to start well prepared :B .

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011, 08:51

So this is the official 10th anniversary speedmapping contest talk thread?

-When does it start?!
-Why is the responding forum category closed? [SOLVED] = Forum opens when contest has started!

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011, 05:50

Sorry lads, I'm in a bit of a busy school period at the moment. The contest will be set up somewhere in April.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 23:21

Can we please add a date to the official '10 anniversary' thread, so a lazy bum like me without memory can quickly check the date?

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 01:36

I've planned to put up all contest-relevant threads today, but I've run into an issue with the map compatibility, so I'm holding it off for now.
The contest is set to begin on April 21st. Once all the necessary info is online, I will make a news post - until then please piece together whatever details will probably be in the contest rules from this discussion thread.

Anyway, we have an emergency, gentlemen!

I have found that maps created in Unreal Tournament are not compatible with pre-227 Unreal, regardless of being converted with WingedUnicorn's tool, even if using only stock Unreal content and having the def. gametype set to unreali.singleplayer. So what do we do with the "maps must be compatible to all platforms" rule now?

An option is that all UT mapping entrants agree to have their map exported to .t3d and imported into the Unreal 1 editor for rebuilding. That way the maps can be made compatible (assuming no foreign/custom packages have been used), but this means that, should the mappers not have Unreal handy, rebuilding their maps will be left to somebody else, something the affected entrants might not agree with.

The other options are:
- Abandon compatibility rule
- Disregard compatibility to Unreal pre 227g (227g runs UT maps just fine)
- Force people to map for Unreal 1 (very very bad)

What do you think? I hope to post the finalized contest information soon, so please give me your feedback on this.

EDIT:
I closed the signups until the contest info is finalized. Those who have already signed up are accounted for, no worries!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Discussion thread

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 09:15

I say abandon compatibility, but still enforce the "Only stock unreal content" rule
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 14:24

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I say abandon compatibility, but still enforce the "Only stock unreal content" rule

I thought the poll came out as stock Unreal content and RtNP Music. But yeah, I agree with abandoning compatability. I can not get my head around all this compatability stuff and I would much rather just build a normal oldskool map (I don't mind if someone else tries to jam my map into Unreal after I've released it my way though).

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 14:51

Like I said a few months ago, I am very capable of converting the map to stock Unreal for everyone who enters the contest. It would literally take me no more than a few hours work and I wouldn't even have to rebuild the map. Sana, would you mind sending me that test map so I can do a quick experiment to show you guys the process? If I can show the process step-by-step, some might even go ahead and do it on their own.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 16:42

jackrabbit wrote:Like I said a few months ago, I am very capable of converting the map to stock Unreal for everyone who enters the contest. It would literally take me no more than a few hours work and I wouldn't even have to rebuild the map. Sana, would you mind sending me that test map so I can do a quick experiment to show you guys the process? If I can show the process step-by-step, some might even go ahead and do it on their own.

It's just a box with a light, two Unreal weapons, a playerstart and the default gametype set to unreali.singleplayer.
I'd be very interested in seeing how you convert these!

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 16:59

um, okay....... I was assuming you were talking about mylevel content as well but I guess not? Anyways, the conversion process is a single-click conversion in this instance (I just tested).

Its a simple as opening your map in 227's editor and hitting the save button.

The other options are:
- Abandon compatibility rule
- Disregard compatibility to Unreal pre 227g (227g runs UT maps just fine)
- Force people to map for Unreal 1 (very very bad)

how about none of the above? :P

User avatar Core

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 17:07

If the judges have the platforms of choice of the mapper, and the map is reviewed on that platform, it's not that big of a deal I guess.

Imo, compatibility shouldn't influence the score, as long as the the content to which mappers are restricted is available on all those platforms.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 18:36

jackrabbit wrote:Its a simple as opening your map in 227's editor and hitting the save button.

Damn! If only I knew that earlier.

Posted rules taking this development into account. Locking this thread to archive pre-contest discussion.

Previous