Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Tenth anniversary mapping contest?

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 16:50

salsaSkaarj wrote:
Jet v4.3.5 wrote:
zacman wrote:Would things such as THIS be allowed?

Would there by chance or could someone willing to help make one that's a simple .zip extract. The Umod window that pops up denies installing the tools even if I have my correct UT installation selected in the path, even after a UT registry fix. Just wondering. I seem to recall trying to get those tools but having the same thing take place because of this error.

I don't see the problem (perhaps I understood your question wrong). The file is a .exe but you could rename it to .zip. Any decent compression program will then open it without having to execute it. Try Winrar (or even try Total Commander which can open the most popular archives). (PS I use TC with WinRar and Arj as add-ons)

Its not a .Zip self extractor, its a proper exe
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 16:54

zacman wrote:In regards to textures... I'd rather like an allowance for some UT Textures like UTTEch1-4 and Indus, as they have some good textures

lol no they don't, these packages all suck ass pretty much and they aren't in the spirit of classic Unreal anyway.

I'd like it if the maps were made in a hypothetical universe where UT and beyond never even existed. That way everyone focuses on actual level design using a set of constraints.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 18:06

zacman wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:I don't see the problem (perhaps I understood your question wrong). The file is a .exe but you could rename it to .zip. Any decent compression program will then open it without having to execute it. Try Winrar (or even try Total Commander which can open the most popular archives). (PS I use TC with WinRar and Arj as add-ons)

Its not a .Zip self extractor, its a proper exe

Did you try what I wrote?

After renaming it (no extension even) double clicking just opened it. And without renaming (I left it as an .exe) double clicking gives me a choice of executing (actually I blocked that option and assigned that to another keycombination so as to avoid accidents) or opening (which it then does by default).

BTW, I just had a look at the file info: it is a selfextractor, and certainly WinZip-compatible (logical, otherwise my system wouldn't work just like that).

fileheader wrote:MZ   ÿÿ ¸ @ È º ´ Í!¸LÍ!This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

$ Ò'~S–F –F –F –F F @ —F Z —F Rich–F PE L [: à  
V * ?  p @     p
  }  }   { 2 ìq P  p à .text †T  V  `.rdata Ò p Z @ @.data 5 €  f @ À.rsrc   t @ @_winzip_ À ° º z @ B

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 19:08

Waffnuffly wrote:
zacman wrote:In regards to textures... I'd rather like an allowance for some UT Textures like UTTEch1-4 and Indus, as they have some good textures

lol no they don't, these packages all suck ass pretty much and they aren't in the spirit of classic Unreal anyway.

I'd like it if the maps were made in a hypothetical universe where UT and beyond never even existed. That way everyone focuses on actual level design using a set of constraints.

I second this. Let's keep it Unreal, which will also eliminate any extra music/sound/textures/junk that you would have to download with it. The less extra's, the better. And: the more interesting it becomes to make something that'll stand the test of time... since it's an old game.

Edit:
sana wrote:...people should not worry about any compatibility issues in their favorite platform at all, but about the "classic Unreal" theme, namely using only stock content without 227-specific tech additions...

and
sana wrote:Once the time for the contest has come, I will present the rules in a clear fashion and list Unreal's stock packages as Waffnuffly suggested.

Second this. So I guess we're done then... 8)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 01:25

As long as no one makes me play anything remotely similar to Terraniux, I'll be fine. I swear that music makes me want to kick a cat.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 06:37

Doublez-Down wrote:As long as no one makes me play anything remotely similar to Terraniux, I'll be fine. I swear that music makes me want to kick a cat.

nedm

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 09:43

I'll give a 10 to whoever makes Terraniux or Extreme ships. Crypts too.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 11:54

Sounds good, sounds like an excuse to push me a bit harder in this stuff. I'm in (Although my lack of internet might require some consideration :P )

We could do something similar to that old myscha level desgin contest from back in the day where you are given a context and told to "work it". In that case it was to build a level around "Rescue a nali priest". Simple and inspirational enough. Not that most people here need to be inspired :P

Doublez-Down wrote:On another note, does anyone think it might be nice to have categories? Or is that just too restrictive? In other words, we could have "Best Ancient Themed Map" or "Best Skaarj Themed Map", etc. I dunno, just a thought and obviously something that could be decided much later.

There probably wouldn't be enough maps to provide adequet contest for the awards when they start to get as specific as that. It would be a nice idea... if this was the make something unreal contest with a million dollars and a million entries to sift through :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 16:27

sana wrote:
LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Everyone's maps should be compatible with all versions of Unreal. If we're going to do no custom content, we might as well not leave anyone out due to stupid .unr syntax differences between builds.

I disagree. It's a relatively pointless investment of time (see the arguments I brought up before), while time is of the essence in a speedmapping contest!

If I am still a judge in this year's contest, I would not mind converting all the maps submitted to be compatible with all versions...it's quite simple really. Just set up a folder with Zora's map converter in it, put all the maps in, run the MC.exe in command prompt, and done...and then I can upload it for all the other judges and players etc.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 17:38

One last request: does everyone agree that using RTNP music (not sounds, models, textures, or scripts) would still be within the spirit of classic Unreal? Frankly we've all heard the stock U1 music a billion times already in custom maps, but RTNP music has typically not been employed as much.

I'm starting to get some ideas and I'd definitely like to put some of that stuff into play!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 18:50

RTNP music was originally supposed to be in Unreal so why not.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 19:13

UBerserker wrote:RTNP music was originally supposed to be in Unreal so why not.

ditto.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 23:56

UBerserker wrote:RTNP music was originally supposed to be in Unreal so why not.

No problem here but if RTNP music is acceptable then I think RTNP textures and sounds (if applicable) should also be allowed.
And what about RTNP creatures? I kinda like the tension the sound and presence of predators create :shock:

Concerning themes: I also doubt the number of entrants will suffice to justify creating theme categories or awards.

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010, 00:06

salsaSkaarj wrote:And what about RTNP creatures?

Serious, SERIOUS pain in the ass to make them cross-compatible with all platforms.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010, 00:13

Waffnuffly wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:And what about RTNP creatures?

Serious, SERIOUS pain in the ass to make them cross-compatible with all platforms.

Aha, sooo... you guys all set for some serious pain? :D

Previous Next