Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Tenth anniversary mapping contest?

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 18:07

Er.....of course I'm on board.

I'd even like other contests as well that cause people to think outside the box. Ideas like the old "5 cubes" maps or an "all outdoor" map or whatever were always fun. I also enjoy reading reviews to get new ideas for maps, and learn what is good and what isn't, and this would be a way to get some new reviews up.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 01:55

Wow, now I'm pumped about annual contests. But then I think to myself, "If everyone's into this idea, how come it hasn't really come up before?" It's weird how still this board can be sometimes. Again, I'd have to say that the mega-projects don't help the statistics of release rates for this community— so many of the good mappers are too busy, and will be almost indefinitely.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 02:30

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Wow, now I'm pumped about annual contests. But then I think to myself, "If everyone's into this idea, how come it hasn't really come up before?" It's weird how still this board can be sometimes.

Do you seriously think this sorta thing hasn't come up before in the decade this site has been open? :o Perhaps we've never done a steady annual thing, and it remains to be seen if we actually do. But Deja Vu, Skytown Redux, the more recent Anniversary thing just to name a few and something else I'm probably forgetting. But those were borne simply from forum pondering of "hey let's do something" to forum/user contests. The problem is getting people to stick with a recurring idea rather than something new every year/every few years.

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Again, I'd have to say that the mega-projects don't help the statistics of release rates for this community— so many of the good mappers are too busy, and will be almost indefinitely.

I will disagree on this sentiment since as far as I know all the "mega" projects have, as it stands, one active level designer and have so for quite some time. Firestorm, RD, TCO...

I know that anticipation can be one thing, but it isn't like there are huge teams of active mappers who aren't making single maps because of, say, RD. That's just not the case. It simply means that I'm not actively making single maps right now, and neither is Kaka or Turboman, Waffnuffly, ect. We can't do everything, can we? :o

That said, I can certainly see myself contributing to something recurring, if we can keep it organized that is. I already sorta kinda have something going as it stands. I was hoping to do it anyway but this will give me a good excuse

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 05:09

Mister_Prophet wrote:I will disagree on this sentiment since as far as I know all the "mega" projects have, as it stands, one active level designer and have so for quite some time. Firestorm, RD, TCO...

Hey! I fixed a BSP hole for Turboman! xD :lol: :P :rolleyes:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 05:20

True dat.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 05:35

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Again, I'd have to say that the mega-projects don't help the statistics of release rates for this community— so many of the good mappers are too busy, and will be almost indefinitely.

Bajillions of small maps were released in Unreal's heyday. The very fact that people are still making maps (and especially "mega-projects") is kind of miraculous in and of itself for a game this old. It's kinda asking a lot to expect there to be dozens of new maps made every year. ;)

But doing these short-term mapping projects every so often is good for a lot of reasons. It gives the people working on big projects a break, invites others to join in, etc.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 11:55

I'd like to take part in something like this. I doubt I'm good enough at mapping that I could finish within the time limit, but I'd still give it a shot.

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 17:07

The key to finishing on time is making a relatively simple plan and sticking to it as much as possible. You WILL deviate from and expand on the original idea; it's inevitable. That's why you should design something that wouldn't take long to make, because you'll spend lots of unplanned time adding things (and fixing unexpected problems).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 17:36

Quite... whitness VVV as a map which was only completed on time because it was planned to an appropriate size and level of detail from start to finish.
Life is what you make of it.

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 21:56

I'd like to see Unreal go back to it's roots in the next contest. No new textures, no new pawns, no modelling program, no coding, just raw Unreal 1 mapping.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:09

Sarevok wrote:I'd like to see Unreal go back to it's roots in the next contest. No new textures, no new pawns, no modelling program, no coding, just raw Unreal 1 mapping.

Says the mapper who included about a hundred custom packages last time!

Seriously, that was kinda the intention last time round. The "declare your custom packages" rule was really intended just to be a workaround to allow mappers some degree of flexibility to avoid putting people off.

Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:17

I think we should decide on a few useful tools that enhance the engine a bit, like UArchitect's 3D skybox, and put the code up for MyLeveling and then leave it at that. I think relying more on stock material than custom stuff is a good idea, but there are some really useful actors we should consider making available and using.

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:20

That's precisely the problem. You open the door for custom stuff...ANY custom stuff...well, those more ambitious minded have an excuse to put one new element into their map, then two...

...then a mod appears out of nowhere.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:47

Maybe more strictness is needed in that area next time around. Some kind of limit to custom stuff that is specified before hand.

Then again, it isn't just as simple as measuring out 50 litres or custom content...

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 23:04

Maybe we should just say "absolutely no custom content, code, textures, sounds, music, etc. whatsoever" this time around then?

I would be fine with this.

Previous Next