ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Pre-contest discussion archive

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 18:50

UnrealSP will be a decade old by next June— definitely a big deal.

There are still a wealth of mega-projects to be completed, but perhaps when June comes around we could set those projects aside for a few weeks to do another mapping contest? The last one was fun as hell, though a lot of people canceled before it was over (or their maps turned into MORE mega-projects which are still not complete).

If it were to be carried out again, I'd want to see a lot of participation and follow-through that didn't quite happen last time. Ideal projects would be maps of reasonable scale that could definitely be finished by the deadline. Little to no custom content, no revolutionary gameplay overhauls or new weapons, and no massive story lines that call for twenty maps. Just some truly 'Unreal' levels— I miss those. Lately Doublez-Down has been the only one churning out things that are of classic design, and I respect him for that.

How does this sound? I know it's pretty early to bring this up, I just really want to see it happen.

sana: I will probably lock this old thread once the contest info is finalized and presented. A new discussion thread will then be opened for the sake of clarity.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: Tenth anniversary mapping contest?

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 18:56

I probably won't be around by then, but it sounds like a good idea.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 18:59

I'm in.

[Edit] Not anymore :[
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 02 Feb 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 19:32

I would definitely enter. :)
If there was another contest, I think people would have more of an idea of how big their map should be seeing as they have had prior experience, which means more finished maps.

No more Residual Decay tech demos! :P (Yes, I'm looking at you, Dead Cell)

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 19:38

I'd always be up for this even if it was every year lol.

Speaking of...why did we only have a contest on the 8th anniversary? Something special about #8? What about previous anniversaries? Why didn't we do one last year? :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 19:54

I'm of the mind that this should be attempted more recently here and not simply yearly. But given how my last entry turned out in last the 8th Anniversary I'm hardly a qualifying voice in the race to produce single map Unreal Sps. The ironic thing is that I've been nurturing some ideas for an actual one-map Unreal-styled SP for a couple of weeks now, since I've wanted to do one for years. What's holding me back? Well, last time I tried it I ended up with Dead Cell :o

But I like the idea of UnrealSP doing this every so often. Every 3 months? Six? Yearly is fine I suppose, but maybe more often would be better. Every time we do this some amazing work gets made. Deja Vu comes to mind, and the 8th Anniversary run produced some cool maps too. The talent pool here is clearly on the level.

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 20:09

Yearly I think would be best if enough interest could be gathered from the far reaches of the Unreal fanbase.
However, if the event was only being entered by the actual UnrealSP.Org community, it could be done more than yearly (this is all my opinion).
Shame this idea wasn't mentioned a bit sooner: we could have had a Christmas themed speedapping competition! :B

I know that having a competition hasn't been decided yet, but I would like to suggest that every one should be able to do a 6-week map and a 6-hour map, like Qtit last year, if they wanted to.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 20:12

I don't think a really good map can be made in six hours. Six weeks...yes, I think it can be done.

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 20:15

I know the 6 hour entires aren't much, but maps like Zuper Ultra Spec Naz Skaarj Killer Parachute Man and Right2Live were funny and provided some entertainment.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 20:29

Well, I'm not a contributor (apart from delivering accounts of my playing experiences) but if needed, I stand ready to second the motion (most strongly 8) ).
I was genuinly (and pleasantly) surprised by the quality of the maps produced (yes even the 6 hour maps, which presented some surprising game situations) and given the quality of mappers available I have no doubt the standard which has been set, will be surpassed.

But, as rightfully mentioned, it would be a pity if entrants are a bit too overzealous and don't finish their maps in time. The whole point of the "competition" then gets lost and expectations remain unfulfilled.
Concerning the number of times such a contest should be held. A balance has to be found between pressure and motivation. Every 3 months is too close; chances are that some of the maps produced still have to be played by the public when the next contest starts, and that leaves little time for other projects some mappers are busy with (or are thinking of starting).
To me, an annual contest sounds just right = no danger of oversaturation.

nikosv

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 00:48

Regular events like this could definitely give UnrealSP fans something to look forward to on a regular and predictable basis, I don't like the perpetual state of anticipation that the mega-projects create.

I'm in for annual contests— wait, not even contests— more like productivity crams. Once a year is just the right duration. A month-and-a-half to two months for mapping, and another month of ecstatic 'zomg new content.' Then someone is voted/volunteers to build a SIMPLE hub map (which will allow for nonlinear map order and for maps to be played multiple times etc, see this thread for similar ideas), and everyone who was in the contest will submit their definitive maps. All of this happens over one season, a good amount of excitement for a year, especially if we get it going annually. Other good news— the mappers who are busy with the mega-projects wouldn't need to put in more than two months of side work— then they're free to continue with their 'serious business.' That way everyone can participate.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 01:17

This is beyond a brilliant idea, from my perspective and based on my personal mapping interests. I've not released one map, since most are still in production and to big to finish quickly. I'm also aware that I, as an individual mapper, am still not up to snuff regarding certain good mapping practices, even though I am also aware of several of them and haven't used them, but I'm sure (I'm yearning, more like) for an opportunity like this, just to have a frequent opportunity to go out and do those things that could help me improve my own work on a fairly regular basis to reap the fruits of releasing maps in succession rather than as one big pack that takes the regular work time and the common delays of most projects. Additionally, like, why the hell not? There are even the pluses mentioned above: people get more maps from USP more frequently than the near standstill we get between all these big projects. Stuff like Doublez-Down's stuff is awesome and, as someone who's beta-tested for pretty much all his stuff so far, I can say that the "bam-bam-bam" mapping practice, or even gradual but regular mapping releasing, is overwhelmingly effective, and I know Proph can testify that this is how he's done it before with DM maps, and it's given him plenty of active criticism and suggestions from others that he's been able to take and work off of to improve his own stuff. It turns out well in the end and I'm really keen on the idea, for myself and for others, and the community of players and those of us who play and even test other mapper's works.

EDIT: If it wasn't already clear, I'm entering, if it's actually done, the moment it's initialized. Just wanted to clarify the scary text wall.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 10:59

That is a lot of positive response to the idea... Now all we need is sana to come along and burst our bubble by saying "NO" :P

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 12:45

NO
...way I'm not gonna sticky this.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 13:11

Maybe this is the kind of motivation I need to actually finish something and get it out there.
StalwartUK

Next