A random sentence for a random mind.

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Tenth anniversary mapping contest?

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 15:50

To answer Waff's "polls":

"What content will we allow?
* Custom music from RTNP

I dont know if you could extract the textures from RtNP? And if so, what would you win?
I like the music from RtNP, and it still fits within the Unreal world... plus it's not hard to take those out. Didn't someone say it's a 9mb package?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 16:00

I seem to be one of the few in favor of minimal custom content. I think we should allow custom scripting only (iterations of Keypoint, Triggers, Light, ScriptedTexture, et cetera), but scripts are only to be used to tweak things, as Hellscrag used them in VVV. UArchitect's 3D skybox is another good example of something to use. Likewise, a scriptedtexture that draws a functioning radar overview of the level may be cool, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the contest. As for whether or not to use MyLevel packaging, whatever is most easily compatible and simplest should be used.

As for RTNP music, I am also in full support. They're cross-compatible, and small in file size.

I am in favor of the following options:

Cross-compatible, RTNP music allowed, custom scripts allowed.
Cross-compatible, RTNP music allowed, no custom scripts.
Cross-compatible, stock U1 content only.

If we are not going to do RTNP music, then there is no point in allowing custom scripts since we might as well go all the way in terms of only using stock content. Custom scripts would be nice and useful, but life will go on if we don't use them.

And of course, if we get any of this wrong the first time, there's always next year.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 23:29

I'm for the stock content only (no scripts or code, mylevel content, etc) but don't necessarily have a problem with RTNP music. I'd also rather have only Unreal textures, since if we are going to use RTNP textures (not even sure which ones are involved here), then it opens a can of worms as to why not be allowed to use UT textures as well, as long as they fit the theme (e.g. Zephon). So in short, just Unreal content imo...but I'm in either way.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 23:47

Yeah the only stuff I'm in favor of adding is RTNP music, no UT music or custom music, and no custom scripts of any kind (Mylevel or not). And this is coming from someone who really likes making custom projectiles :P It's more challenging if you are limited to a specific set of criteria, which is why I'd ultimately be fine with us not even using RTNP music if I had to choose between no custom content and any custom content.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010, 12:55

Maybe just custom music...doesn't really effect the gameplay or level design lol :rolleyes:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010, 20:01

Music is a big factor when it comes to setting, atmosphere, feel, theme, ect. All those things are quite definitive of the whole experience. Imagine what NyLeve would have been like with Doom 2 music. Probably, uh, woulda been a little different. :) Of course, it depends what prerequisites we all agree on. If it's voted for "classic" instead of any custom content the mapper wishes, I would think we should be just as strict with music as any other stock package.

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010, 20:14

I think that's a good point. Even though I was only in favor of the RTNP music because it's so similar to Unreal's, it's clearly inviting too much confusion. I've changed my mind: classic U1 content only, no custom ANYTHING, no home-made textures, sounds, music, code, whatever. It makes the level design take sole focus, and could result in some really interesting things. That's my vote!

Someone may as well get crackin' on an actual poll so we can settle this sooner rather than later!

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 18:08

Well, the problem is that I don't know how to do polls on this forum, or even if we have polls.

I think we can safely say that we only want to do stock U1 content, am I right? I think the only dispute is RTNP music (which I am still in favor of— so long as we make it clear that it's the only non-stock thing allowed, period).

So shall we just do it by replying? Whoever gives a straight vote (RTNP music or no RTNP music— that's it) in the next few days is has a counted vote?

I will start by voting for RTNP music.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 18:11

We can do polls, but not in this particular forum for some reason. sana what's the deal there?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:28

I won't be participating in the contest itself, but I thought I'd just interject on the subject of the RtNP music: It IS all Unreal music, really - just music that got cut!
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:29

And people are still arguing about it.
They're in. The matter is closed.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:30

UBerserker wrote:And people are still arguing about it.
They're in. The matter is closed.

Who made you the authority on everything? Let people vote, jeeze.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:31

Because the matter is extremely dumb, and Scrag nailed it. It's cut music that was originally supposed to be in Unreal.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:38

So what? You don't decide for everyone else. You have one vote, not ten.

Besides, as others have pointed out, it adds unnecessary confusion.

Sheesh, now I regret even bringing the subject up!

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 20:46

THE POLLS WILL DECIDE OUR FATE

Previous Next