Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Timing of the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

The 10th UnrealSP.Org Anniversary should mark the...

Poll ended at 31 Dec 2010, 22:20

...beginning of the contest
13%
...end of the contest
88%

Total votes: 16

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Timing of the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 22:20

This vote lasts 14 days.

We raised an interesting idea in USP chat earlier. Considering the enthusiasm many regulars are currently showing for the idea of another Speedmapping Contest, we might want to preserve it and start the contest sooner than usual. To be exact, we considered the possibility of moving the contest forward so that the playable results are presented at the date of the anniversary.

The estimate dates I have considered:
April 21, 2011: Start of the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest
June 2, 2011: Deadline for contest entries
June 18, 2011: Deadline for judging
June 21, 2011: 10th UnrealSP.Org Anniversary, projects judged and published on the main site

However, instead of making those decisions by myself, I'd rather like to ask the community and future contestants. How does this timing affect you? Would you prefer to begin on the date of the Anniversary or to be finished by then? Do those dates fit with your schedule (work, exams etc.)?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Timing of the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 22:32

I like the idea of doing it sooner June is too far off. Also I have no life :o so I am not bothered about it getting in the way of things either date.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 22:38

I probably shouldn't have voted since I'm fine with either option and this poll is really to see what people's mapping availability is like, but I definitely would like to start sooner rather than later.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 23:06

Waffnuffly wrote:... but I definitely would like to start sooner rather than later.

yeah!, me too, I would like to start playing those maps the sooner the better :D

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 23:53

I won't vote either, but I would suggest harnessing the energy while it's here, so as to avoid BfNP syndrome: talking an idea into oblivion.

April already seems like a long time to wait. You could even start sooner, as this is already the site's 10th year...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 00:04

Hellscrag wrote:April already seems like a long time to wait. You could even start sooner, as this is already the site's 10th year...

But... how would this be the Anniversary Speedmapping Contest if it isn't centered around the anniversary's date? :shy:

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 00:15

I say start way sooner, like New Years Day. Call the contest whatever you like, (10th Anniversary New Year Contest or whatever). Most will lose interest by April imo.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 11:45

Maybe you should ride the wave of enthusiasm while it's here. No point waiting for it to rain before you have your picnic...

Just call it the 2011 Speedmapping Contest and start really early in the year. :P
(Start next week! =P)

2012 contest can be held on the anniversary unless like this time everyone demands it sooner.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 12:05

Maybe start in March, so that 21st June is when the results of the competition are announced... or start in the New Year as LS222 suggests.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 12:18

sana wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:April already seems like a long time to wait. You could even start sooner, as this is already the site's 10th year...

But... how would this be the Anniversary Speedmapping Contest if it isn't centered around the anniversary's date? :shy:

Start the contest, then don't release the finals as a pack until the Anniversary :D
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 13:23

zacman wrote:Start the contest, then don't release the finals as a pack until the Anniversary :D

This is actually an intriguing idea - using the Anniversary date for the release date of the contest compilation pack (which we will hopefully have this year. I might take over responsibility for creating the hub map)

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010, 23:41

Too bad I really won't have time during April - May.. oh well, not like I ever finish anything anyway :o

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010, 00:03

I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later, too. That way I'd be less likely to forget about it, and I'd still have ideas for maps fresh in my memory. Besides, it's not like I have anything else to do. I don't have a life. 8)

I'd be perfectly okay with it starting in the New Year, too.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010, 01:57

sana wrote:
zacman wrote:Start the contest, then don't release the finals as a pack until the Anniversary :D

This is actually an intriguing idea - using the Anniversary date for the release date of the contest compilation pack (which we will hopefully have this year. I might take over responsibility for creating the hub map)

What's really great is that if we do stock content only (which looks to be the case), we will need nothing more than the inventory killer post-map for a hub to be workable from a technical perspective. It's actually realistically possible this time.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010, 09:06

I just realized that I'm going to be doing finals half of the time— ugh. Oh well, I guess my submission will be done in three weeks rather than six. I've submitted something I did in 1.3% of that time before. I suppose can work with little time— granted, my map won't get a high rating.

Waffnuffly wrote:What's really great is that if we do stock content only (which looks to be the case), we will need nothing more than the inventory killer post-map for a hub to be workable from a technical perspective. It's actually realistically possible this time.

Hooray! I really liked the hub map idea, but honestly it doesn't work if the map themes try to be too revolutionary. Perhaps we could do a cooperative hub map this time, so the burden doesn't fall on one person?
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Next