Scout-kun is a lie... right?

10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion thread

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion thread

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 18:42

UnrealSP.Org 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest

The contest will commence on April 21st, 2011 and end on June 16th, 2011.
You can view the rules and general information in this thread, and you can sign up as entrant or volunteer for a judging position here.
This is a general discussion thread. If you have any questions or comments, fire away!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ividyon

Subject: Re: 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion threa

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 20:09

And here comes a rule change already!
I removed the rule that permitted custom scripts in MyLevel in favor of a pure no-stock-content solution. This will avoid any complications with judgement; after all, people might argue that any script is "non-invasive". Being forced to use zero custom content will make things more interesting.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 22:33

I hope we have some 6-hour maps this year too. Last year's little maps were hilarious. :D

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 06:11

How can we verify a map to be valid?
I'm willing to believe that every classic Unreal player is true enough to not cheat.

But what if I create some unbelieveable, kickass content and someone starts to believe "c'mon this this dude toke a month to create this, submits and is all like I've did this in 6 hours!"

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 20:27

.unr files (and all files actually) will have a "date created" date in the info :P

I highly doubt anyone will try to cheat anyway...it's not like there's money at stake or something :rolleyes: :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 21:49

And we all know, it is impossible to move content from one map to the other. But honestly, making more than one map won't be rewarded (I say that as a judge). So there is enough time to complete the submission in 6 weeks.

BTW the podium from the 8th anniversary contest won't participate (or will Waffnuffly and Qtit?). And back then the top 3 used Scripts. Perhaps there will be a surprise this time.

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 22:31

Waffnuffly wrote:Welp, looks like I have no choice but to withdraw from the contest. Real life obligations cutting into available free time.

This was what was said in the old discussion thread, so I guess last year's winner will not participate. :(

Maybe Waffnuffly will at least give us a motivating and informative speech on what it takes to win? :P

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 23:13

Legendslayer222 wrote:
Waffnuffly wrote:Welp, looks like I have no choice but to withdraw from the contest. Real life obligations cutting into available free time.

This was what was said in the old discussion thread, so I guess last year's winner will not participate. :(

Maybe Waffnuffly will at least give us a motivating and informative speech on what it takes to win? :P

It's all just as well; there's no way I'd be able to top TLF this time around.

Speech: eat lots of black beans; they are good for you and taste delicious

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 23:20

Are Hellburgers good mapping energy? :P
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011, 23:28

I was wrong about Qtit. I thought he would finish Day of the Titan first ... or his racing simulation ... or his project arisen from the 8th anniversary speedmapping contest ... or his other 3 projects. Honestly, I would like more to see him doing something involving UnrealScript.

@Waffnuffly
How should look a time schedule? After how many weeks should you have finished mapping? How long does it take to correct small issues, lighting, gameplay, texture modifications in relation to mapping?

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 00:06

Rather than devolve into some kind of QA fiesta, I'll just relink my original entry thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=988

It pretty much details the process almost day-by-day from start to finish (and post-launch).

Keep in mind though that everyone has their own mapping methodology, their own target goals along the way, and their own opinions about what should be prioritized. I spent most of the competition doing geometry work and hacked together gameplay at the last minute, but it seemed to have worked out at least mostly OK for the initial run (aside from the impossible-to-locate climbable chains, haha).

I was also greatly advantaged by having a complete map plan right from the start and self-imposed constraints (no indoor geometry, lots of climbing, heavy combat) that I used to keep myself focused. If you can do that, you'll be a lot better off, but you'll need a clear idea of where your map is going right from the start, or at least a very clear idea of what the setting will be composed of.

I would recommend trying to be done with basic geo by the half way mark and spend the rest of the period optimizing and doing gameplay/story/detail work. You WILL miss the mark for geo because UE1 hates you, so if you set the mark farther ahead, you'll be better off when you wind up having 2 weeks left in the contest for everything else instead of just 2 days.

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 17:42

But how exactly do I approach a map:
Can I take all 6 weeks and work on little bits until total time is hitting the 6 hour margin?
Or do I have to finish within 6h from the point on whenever I started?

My goal is obviously to start a map- and finish it within the next 6h whenever I started.

How do you guys approach it?
Try to give me some exact examples of procedure how anyone would do it.
This is my first time contest!

Thanks

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 17:50

You have six weeks to finish a map within the rules of the contest; that's it.

You think TLF was made within six hours? :P
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 18:32

BuddhaMaster wrote:But how exactly do I approach a map:
Can I take all 6 weeks and work on little bits until total time is hitting the 6 hour margin?

My goal is obviously to start a map- and finish it within the next 6h whenever I started.

Thanks

I'm curious where the idea of having to finish your map in 6 hours came from. Were you thinking about the 6-hour last-minute entries to the 8th Anniversary contest?

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 18:59

BuddhaMaster wrote:But how exactly do I approach a map:

Thanks

This is an unanswerable question. You have to just figure out what works for you by experimenting and, mainly, just doing it. There's no one-size-fits-all specific step-by-step mapping guide.

Also no, there is no six hour limit. In theory you could spend every single second of the entire six-week span mapping if you wanted, though I imagine you'd be dead before the end of the first week :I

Next