A random sentence for a random mind.

10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion thread

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion threa

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 19:06

You say "i'm gonna do a 6 hours map submission" and exactly six hours later your map should be downloadable.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 21:23

I doubt I'll be awake for the last 6 hours of the competition, might have to pick another 6 hour slot. :lol:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 01:31

Thanks to the efforts of .:..: we now have an easy-to-use map converting tool that makes maps from UT99 and Unreal 226/227 playable under all versions of Unreal!
Check the new compatibility thread for download links and some more potentially useful info.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 12:27

Woah, I'm really confused about all this converting/compatability stuff.

Does building levels with the old 'SinglePlayer' gametype in UT still let me play them through the oldskool menus okay?

I also have no idea what I'm meant to do with that converter now I've downloaded it.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 14:31

Yes, setting the default gametype of the map to unreali.singleplayer will allow you to play it properly through the Oldskool menu, while maintaining Unreal 1 compatibility.

Also everything regarding the converter is detailed in the readme.txt included with the archive... you extract the archive in your UT folder, run the batch file, enter the name of the map-to-be-converted and then take the freshly converted <mapname>_224.unr from the root folder...

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 15:30

Thanks for clearing things up sana. :tup:

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 14:24

So I just pick my own type out of contest rules and work this way?

Yeah my favourite is obviously the 6-hour speedmap, since it is a "speedmap" contest and the first I join.

I'm gonna do it all in one straight 6 hour session, the physical/psychic demand is gonna be the fun part about it. And that's not the mapping, but the go-keepers :shock:

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 14:34

I reckon anyone who is "planning" to make a 6 hour speed map is missing the point of the competition :P

If you're going to do a 6 hour speed map, why not do 20 6 hour speed maps? Or even better, start with a six hour speed map, post it up for everyone to laugh at, then start refining the map into something bigger and better. Once the first speed map is polished, do another 6 hour speed map and link it up. Repeat until you've got a beefy level.

You've got a whole 6 weeks to enjoy mapping season. Make the most of it.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 15:31

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I reckon anyone who is "planning" to make a 6 hour speed map is missing the point of the competition :P
[...]
You've got a whole 6 weeks to enjoy mapping season. Make the most of it.

This, pretty much.
The contest runs a full 6 weeks. Take a look at The Last Fortress and Vaccilations of a Victorian Vagrant to get a taste of what kind of amazing feats can be accomplished during this time span. The 6-hour entries of the last contest were created by a bunch of last-minute entrants for the hell of it and do not represent what the contest really was about! :o
I'm not sure where the fixation on 6-hour maps comes from, but it's sorta weird that people lose motivation for the full 6-week course before the contest even started. :|

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 16:49

I'm not sure where the fixation on 6-hour maps comes from, but it's sorta weird that people lose motivation for the full 6-week course before the contest even started. :|

I can only speak for me: It's not the lack of motivation but the lack of time. I'm writing my "Abitur" (~ A Levels) in May. Therefore I must learn hard in this and the following month. This time I do want to make a map and I don't to fail like the last time when I gave up way too early. So I said that I will do a map in 6 hours.

Maybe BuddhaMaster is in a similar situation. If not, make the most of it :P
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 16:53

Can just someone please explain what the speed in "speedmapping" is all about!?
otherwise I have to re-read the rules very clearly!

I think of a speed-mapping contest as of speed-drawing!
You try to be as impressive as possible, in a very short time!

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 17:00

If you consider the amount of time it takes to finish a complete mod project (it can take up to several years, see TCO/Firestorm/Residual Decay), it should become apparent how 6 weeks relate to "speedmapping". ;)

It's not an extreme variant of speedmapping, but rather it gives contestants the minimum time needed to create a small, but high-quality work that may very well become an instant classic.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:01

Wanna double-check some things.

1) Terrain - Can it be externally done in another program (such as Blender) as long as the final result is BSP, or is our best shot for this contest only going to be something like the tess-cube method or what have you?

2) 227g's mesh to BSP function - Can we convert the stock Unreal meshes to BSP or is that a no go? Obviously we could make similar shapes in the editor and try to use the skin or other textures if necessary, but is that extra enhancement allowed or not, even if the final result uses BSP and the stock skin of that mesh?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:12

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:2) 227g's mesh to BSP function - Can we convert the stock Unreal meshes to BSP or is that a no go? Obviously we could make similar shapes in the editor and try to use the skin or other textures if necessary, but is that extra enhancement allowed or not, even if the final result uses BSP and the stock skin of that mesh?

If it doesn't use extra scripts or similar (and only the opposite should), then I don't see why you couldn't; at the least no-one could really prove that you didn't make it yourself.

I guess that applies to the terrain question as well.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 23:31

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:2) 227g's mesh to BSP function - Can we convert the stock Unreal meshes to BSP or is that a no go?

I think it's not a good idea. Classic mapping. The Static Mesh support is a huge enhancement which allows to put hundreds of details in a matter of really short time leaving the UT mappers behind. I'd say this is an engine enchancement that should not be used.

Previous Next