A random sentence for a random mind.

'The Wretched Canyon' by Jackrabbit

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: 'The Wretched Canyon' by Jackrabbit

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 15:06

Story:

A canyon where nali tarydium slaves get sent if they fail to meet their deadlines at the end of the work day. The Krall are used to survey the canyon to make sure everything goes "smooth" and meanwhile, a few Skaarj maintain census of the area and are in charge of delivery to the canyons inner sanctum.

The inner sanctum also holds an ancient nali relic stolen by the Skaarj which is shown to each nali before his/her death. You have been given the task of retrieving this ancient nali relic which somehow aids the nali in their upcoming rebellion against the skaarj on NaPali.

Author Notes:

I will be relying heavily on use of Lightwave for the canyons terrain. The "DecayedS.utx" areas inside and around the canyon I will most likely construct inside UED itself.

"The Abyss" from Duke3d is a noteworthy source of inspiration for this upcomming level. I've always wanted a map like that for Unreal which truly confines the player in a canyon-esque like maze area. The other source of inspiration would come from Unreal 1 maps like TerraLift and Terraniux. (NOTE: Mercenaries will NOT make an appearance in my level)

I have had this idea in my head for at least a year now so its exciting for me to actually begin working on it sooner than later.

[more to come after the 21st]

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: 'The Wretched Canyon' by Jackrabbit

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 18:58

The Abyss was interesting. Not exactly my favorite, but still a memorable level in some ways. Nice inspiration!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 21:10

Yeah, and as I said, the idea has been in my head even since the 8th anniversary speed-mapping contest and even a little before that. As a matter of fact, my 8th anniversary entrant which was canceled (due to a death of a friend) intended to come directly after this level (the beginning of that level starts at a canyon exit).

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011, 21:22

No idea what 'The Abyss from Duke3d' was so I looked it up.

Your entry looks promising. :tup: