This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[RELEASED] The Oll Stone Prologue - Released

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Community Vote: The Oll Stone Prologue: The Ibyn Complex

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:13

No votes
No votes
20%
No votes
40%
13%
13%
7%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: The Oll Stone Prologue - Released

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 15:42

HMAS Touma? Really?

[spoiler]There's a small flight of stairs on deck in map 3 which wasn't there before the player went to sleep. Have you played Yume Nikki, by chance? That reminds me of a certain (spoiler-y) aspect in that game, so I figured I should ask...[/spoiler]
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 10:08

sana wrote:HMAS Touma? Really?

My inner weeaboo is showing! The submarine in The Oll Stone was going to be the USS Index too.
As for the spoiler...[spoiler]IBYN = Inspired by Yume Nikki. I originally thought of making a more surreal dream sequence, but that is pretty hard to do with stock resources only. So I settled on a weird skybox and a couple of references. Fun Fact: Both times you are on the boat it is actually the same map. The actual third map is a really tiny transition map for removing the player's inventory.[/spoiler]
People jumping all over things
I guess I should have anticipated that more. Of course, it is why all those handrails are there but you can get over them.[spoiler]Perhaps I should have increased the timer on the dream level. I set it kind of low because I got kind of self-conscious about how short the level was (I didn't want people exploring the whole level and then feeling stuck). Anyone found the way to finish the level faster?[/spoiler]

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 14:14

You are now my favorite person on the site. :P
ebd wrote:[spoiler]Anyone found the way to finish the level faster?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I just dodged forward at the rocky formation with the wake-up chasm. You can skip pretty much everything that way. I had to replay to reach the rave; I'm not sure if I used the intended way, since I kinda jumped onto the cliffs from the central walkway.[/spoiler]
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 01:51

I still can't find these subwoofers everyone is talking about :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 04:58

What in the hell is with this level.got 3 maps in the zip, the readme says nothing as to the first map you start with.
Then I see teleporter warning that has no destination.
I started the level that has the lift that swing arm killed me on the way back, made it to the cave and teleported to the map that has no teporter destination.

you could at least put wich map is first, so far it gets no score at all, WTF am I missing here.
Just ban everyone

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 05:53

Start with ebd_usp10_oll_ibyn.unr, like it says in the first post.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 06:44

Well it worked up until the map or whatever is happening I get teleported to the last map.
Got the gun, jumped up on railing and boom teleported.
Tried again, got gun jumped to outer ledge, seen the major HOM seen enemy and shot the one striagt on, he shoots, boom teleported to end map.
Tried again got powerup, shot in cave walked around a bit, boom teleported to last map.

This map have some friggen timer to just teleport you away ? lol.

tried again, just got the gun and two power ups, then waited not moving at all, boom teleported to end map while I was doing nothing standing still, shot nothing.
Last edited by redeye on 26 Jun 2011, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 01:47

Any answer to this ^^^ ? or is this supposed to be a joke map, cuz I aint getting the joke.
Just ban everyone

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 02:32

Clearly I underestimated the desire that everyone but me seems to have to jump on things. Next time the handrails will be much harder to get on top of.[spoiler]
redeye wrote:This map have some friggen timer to just teleport you away ? lol.
There is a timer on the dream sequence map. It is set to 120 seconds (two minutes) which should allow for a decent amount of time for a level of that size. You are only taking a quick nap, not a 18 super sleep marathon.
redyeye wrote:is this supposed to be a joke map, cuz I aint getting the joke.
The Skaarj rave is intended to be amusing at the very least (it is much better if you enter through the main door, and not the back door I somehow didn't think everyone would try to jump up to). There are also a series of other references throughout the maps. I intended for the map to be amusing or at least interesting. Take it as you will.[/spoiler]

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 03:05

Thats cool, just thought i was going crazy or some file problem thing. :tup:
Now I will retry again.
Just ban everyone

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 08:50

ebd wrote:Clearly I underestimated the desire that everyone but me seems to have to jump on things. Next time the handrails will be much harder to get on top of.[spoiler]
redeye wrote:This map have some friggen timer to just teleport you away ? lol.
There is a timer on the dream sequence map. It is set to 120 seconds (two minutes) which should allow for a decent amount of time for a level of that size. You are only taking a quick nap, not a 18 super sleep marathon.
redyeye wrote:is this supposed to be a joke map, cuz I aint getting the joke.
The Skaarj rave is intended to be amusing at the very least (it is much better if you enter through the main door, and not the back door I somehow didn't think everyone would try to jump up to). There are also a series of other references throughout the maps. I intended for the map to be amusing or at least interesting. Take it as you will.[/spoiler]

I couldn't actually find the door I was supposed to enter through. I figured the handrails where where I was SUPPOSED to jump to. Also, recognised the reference in the skybox straight away [spoiler]I was actually playing YN a few days ago, I almost expected an UBOAAA!!!-esque screamer somwhere[/spoiler]
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 23:09

Ah, just realised I haven't posted anything about this map yet.

Well, what can I say? This map has some nice technical tricks up its sleeve, and visually the boat (especially the speeding) is quite good. But the dream sequence doesn't quite do it for me, usually I can live in the gaming situation but here I can't seem to pass a threshold and let myself be taken in. Still, the concept is innovative and makes me curious to the continuation. But it wasn't a winner for me.

Previous