ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[RELEASED] The Oll Stone Prologue - Released

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Community Vote: The Oll Stone Prologue: The Ibyn Complex

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:13

No votes
No votes
20%
No votes
40%
13%
13%
7%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: The Oll Stone

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 19:19

This reminds me of some really good Doom and Blood maps. Very nostalgic. Looking forward to seeing it ingame!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 21:13

Very nice indeed! I hope you'll be able to finish it on time! :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 May 2011, 03:19

That shot with the crap texturing gets me nostalgic for the OOT fire temple :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 13 May 2011, 10:03

TheIronKnuckle wrote:That shot with the crap texturing gets me nostalgic for the OOT fire temple :tup:
I thought of that too once I started building it. It was a dull dungeon (one of the worst in any zelda game IMHO) but it captured the "uncomfortably warm" feeling you would expect in such a place very well.
Darkon wrote:Very nice indeed! I hope you'll be able to finish it on time!
You and me both. :P
Waffnuffly wrote:This reminds me of some really good Doom and Blood maps. Very nostalgic. Looking forward to seeing it ingame!
I must admit I haven't actually played the original Doom.
sana wrote:I've always wanted to see those rock-with-lava-border textures used for that sort of stepping stone walkway. Great work! The entrance looks really foreboding, as well
I'm surprised that kind of thing isn't done more often. That texture just begs to be used for that.
BuddhaMaster wrote:What are those searchlight actors?
Light actors with properties changed to make it more immediately obvious to me what I am using them for. The yellow skull actors are just lights too.

--

post will be updated in <= 2 hours with more screens or something

EDIT: Yeah so, I ate some food, aligned some textures and whatnot and have nothing particularly new and exciting. I hope to mostly finish the hub area and make some major progress on the other areas over the next few days.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 13 May 2011, 14:25

A whole level set in some sort of Warlord battle type lava-cave could really original. The fourth shot on your last set is showing some greenings on the ruin parts though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 10:20

Mman wrote:A whole level set in some sort of Warlord battle type lava-cave could really original. The fourth shot on your last set is showing some greenings on the ruin parts though.
My plan was that it wouldn't be the whole level, just a very prominent part of it. I guess you could think of it as a level though since it is pretty big and has taken more time then most complete DM maps I have made. As for the greenings, uh whoops.

--

After nearly losing my map (opening caused editor to crash, total crash count @ 8 so far) I ported a one hour old backup to 227g. Apparently kickers are part of botpack, so I have to come up with a new way for players to fall a big distance and not die. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Geometry for the hub area is nearly finished.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 11:50

Right off the bat I can only think of landing him in a body of water. Maybe you could make some sort of stealthy anti-gravity mini zone or something?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 12:00

ebd wrote:Apparently kickers are part of botpack, so I have to come up with a new way for players to fall a big distance and not die. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hm, looked into the code. Jumpers only work with ScriptedPawns and ThrowStuffs must know your tag. So the only way to use Throwstuff is to place a Playerpawn in the map (then you will possess this PlayerPawn).

I think the easiest way is to make an additional ZoneInfo, through which you fall. Edit its ZoneVelocity (or its ZoneGravity). The vertical size of that zone is decisive for the values. If it is big enough, then ZoneVelocity.z=10 should be enough. But be aware ZoneVelocity can also reroute Projectiles like the vent at the end of Rrajigar Mine (dig.unr).

edit: 10 is not enough. ZoneVelocity has strange effects. ZoneGravity is better. If you choose a small negative value, then you can be at least sure, that your fall won't accelerate any further.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 17:39

Try adding an invisible AsbestosSuit with protection type changed from Burned to Fell, set bDisplayableInv to false, and make the pickup invisible with no pickup sound or PlayerViewMesh. Also set Charge to 1 and ArmorAbsorption to 100 or something; that way it will disappear as soon as the player takes some damage.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 18:12

In Skaarj Generator you were like, invulnerable to falls.
ImageImage

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 14 May 2011, 23:33

Waffnuffly wrote:Try adding an invisible AsbestosSuit with protection type changed from Burned to Fell, set bDisplayableInv to false, and make the pickup invisible with no pickup sound or PlayerViewMesh. Also set Charge to 1 and ArmorAbsorption to 100 or something; that way it will disappear as soon as the player takes some damage.
Waff you are a genius! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

--

early wip of one of the side areas

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 15 May 2011, 22:00

I love

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 15 May 2011, 22:36

Fancy wavy water surfaces?! :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 May 2011, 23:16

Just wanted to say the screenshot problem is from taking screenshots in a non power of 2 resolution, if you use setres to 16:9 16:10 or 4:3 resolution shot will work correctly.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 20 May 2011, 06:53

Delacroix wrote:It sure looks like hell, and hell should have a cocytus

Ignore the fact that water would not really freeze like that.

Progress will be slow this week. Starting next Tuesday though I should have a lot of time. The last week is going to be intense for sure, though currently things are looking grim. If I am unable to complete the map in time it should not take me more then an additional week or two.

Previous Next